xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Easiest Tcp/ip Implementation For Openxdk?  (Read 273 times)

openxdkman

• Archived User
Easiest Tcp/ip Implementation For Openxdk?
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »

Take a look at existing stacks (each one has it's api philosophy) and select your favorite

Personally I needed wattcp 16 bits (earlier version) for ms dos compatibility of calling applications source
but it comes with an odd license not allowing source publishing. So I coded it but I can't give it out.

You may try wattcp 32 bits which has now a more regular license
or the one which seems to be the favorite of all devs : lwip (v1.3.0 I guess)

I don't know lwip at all.

Code very slowly and test a lot each vertical layer...

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »

For future's sake, Gentoox Loader - a Cromwell derivative uses lwip and has support for DHCP. It uses the stack to support network booting and web booting of the kernel from a remote site.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »

Forgive me as I am not a long-time Xbox dev and my experience with openxdk is very limited at this point but what is the reason for a tcp stack not having been added? Seeing as how a number of people have implemented a stack for their purposes can we not have one in the development package? When you get devKitPro for GC/Wii development you don't have to hunt down and implement a tcp stack. You can also build C++ code.  tongue.gif I am very interested in working with openxdk as being able to build and release Odamex for Xbox on odamex.net would be awesome. It just seems like there are too many missing pieces and my time is stretched thin already trying to get an xdk build ready for Odamex 0.5. One thing I do intend to port over to openxdk is Agar as it is a c-based library dependent on libSDL. But I will not be porting, initially anyway, the Odamex launcher as I am developing it in C++.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »

AFAIK, OpenXDK supports C++ from 0.7 release onwards but I could be wrong..

Gentoox Loader is based on Linux and there may be some dependencies but I know the USB stack of OpenXDK borrowed heavily from Linux's Cromwell.  

By the way, the SDL library in OpenXDK is not a full port , I think it supports 640x480 only and doesn't have the same capabilities as libSDLx.

openxdkman should know more on the development history of OpenXDK and the reasons behind the lack of the tcp ip stack.

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »

I've adapted wattcp 16 bits to xb1 for my own needs (added pppoe support, etc...).
Unfortunately the license is odd and prevents source from being shared.
Not enough free time atm to do anything significant... beside bringing morale support to all!
Legal homebrew on xb1 is less attractive than xdk direct8 usage, that's why motivation is low around openxdk (but I don't despair to release something -minidash with unified api- in future, normally wattcp 16 bits license allows me to publish binary without source).