xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I'll Pay Whoever Makes These $200  (Read 177 times)

andrewmc

• Archived User
I'll Pay Whoever Makes These $200
« on: April 10, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »

#1. A Xbox webserver app that allows you to set a "index.html" file, so that when a user types in your Xbox's IP in thier URL bar, they get that page. Of course it would need to be fully functional (ex: links work, ect).

#2. Wine or WineX on Xbox. I'm not really sure how this could be accomplished. It might be done by making a Linux distro that just boots Wine without any other gui. Or it could be done by making an Xbox app that allows you to select an exe file then it attempts to run it.

I'll pay $200 (paypal) to whoever develops either one of those. I got $400 to blow, and I feel that these apps could really contribute to the scene.

For example #1, someone could open a professional webhost buisness using modded Xbox's! #2 would just be downright awesome, especially if it works well.

TNHitokiri

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 05:51:00 PM »

tongue.gif

fghjj

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »

#1: a professional webhost business would want to do a whole lot more than just serve a static .html, just think of all the network/content/hardware management implications. Xbox doesn't offer RAID, has very limited RAM, processor power, just a 100mbit NIC, the graphics chip would stay unused, + Xbox can't be stacked/cooled like normal 19" devices etc.etc.etc

Besides we already have Linux on Xbox which can run Apache. I suggest you PayPal $xxx to ShallaX or Xbox-Linux team.

edit:

haha Hitokiri good idea :D

This post has been edited by fghjj: Apr 11 2005, 01:00 AM

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 01:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(andrewmc @ Apr 10 2005, 11:01 PM)
#1. A Xbox webserver app that allows you to set a "index.html" file, so that when a user types in your Xbox's IP in thier URL bar, they get that page. Of course it would need to be fully functional (ex: links work, ect).

Just to add to the posts above...
The gentoox web site itself (http://gentoox.shallax.com/) is hosted on a XBOX exactly the way you describe - see here.

This post has been edited by PedrosPad: Apr 11 2005, 08:39 AM

andrewmc

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(TNHitokiri @ Apr 10 2005, 11:57 PM)
Dude, its called GentooX, it has those things.. Send ShALLaX your $200 :P

LOL, but GentooX is such a memory hog, especially while running KDE. I want sometging much more efficient.

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

You dont need to run x.org to run a webserver.

Sainticus Supreme

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(andrewmc @ Apr 11 2005, 04:14 PM)
LOL, but GentooX is such a memory hog, especially while running KDE. I want sometging much more efficient.

Yes, KDE hogs the hell out of memory, ShallaX tells you this in the docs, you know those things that no one ever likes to read but then later wonder why they feel left in the dark about something. I suggest using using GentooX here with a window manger such as XFCE, fluxbox or even ICEWM as these use considerably less memory than KDE.

d0wnlab

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »

just thought I'd mention this since no one else did...

extremely nice gesture, to offer money for what you thought would be scene advancements.

very charitable.  :beer: