xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: My First Development Project  (Read 123 times)

chief7

• Archived User
My First Development Project
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »

i program in vb6 at work and want to try my hands at some xbox development.  i have never coded in c/c++ so im going to start out simple.

i have seen several questions about changing the xbox fan speed from withing evox.  i know you can change it in the bios if you have a chip or use pbl but a large group of people use nkpatcher, which does not have the ability to change the fan speed (that i know of)

my idea:  take the code used in xbmc to change the fan speed and modify it to run as a single executable that can change the fan speed from within evox.  

i don't think it will be tough but my main concern is toasting my xbox.  i figure that the code only changes the bios in memory so no real damage can occur.  is this correct?

what do you think of my plan?

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(chief7 @ Feb 24 2005, 09:51 PM)
i program in vb6 at work and want to try my hands at some xbox development.  i have never coded in c/c++ so im going to start out simple.

Gamester17

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 06:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(chief7 @ Feb 24 2005, 08:51 PM)
my idea:  take the code used in xbmc to change the fan speed and modify it to run as a single executable that can change the fan speed from within evox.
That won't work, the Xbox/XDK only support running one process at a time (there's not underlaying OS) so once you start a game or whatever your xbe and all it's functions get's cut off. Only way it's possible is if you can figure wound how to incoperate it into the BIOS (like Xecuter2 BIOS's IGR (In Game reset) or how EvoX patches the BIOS with their IGR) to make it resistant in memory in a protected area that does not get cut off.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 07:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Gamester17 @ Feb 25 2005, 01:14 PM)
That won't work, the Xbox/XDK only support running one process at a time (there's not underlaying OS) so once you start a game or whatever your xbe and all it's functions get's cut off. Only way it's possible is if you can figure wound how to incoperate it into the BIOS (like Xecuter2 BIOS's IGR (In Game reset) or how EvoX patches the BIOS with their IGR) to make it resistant in memory in a protected area that does not get cut off.

chief7

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 07:38:00 AM »

The following are results from the testing I have done.  

If you boot to evox, run xbmc, override the fan speed, and start a game the fan speed is reset.

BUT,

If you boot to evox, run xbmc, overide the fan speed, go back to evox (using L+R+Back+Bl) and start a game the fan speed does not change.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(chief7 @ Feb 25 2005, 02:44 PM)
The following are results from the testing I have done. 

chief7

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »

do you think i will pretty safe?  i don't want to screw my xbox up

only the memory is changed so no effects should remain after a reboot, right?

chief7

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »

i have been analyzing how xbmc changes the fan speed and i think i understand it.  

i have also been learning some c/c++

i am currently waiting for the xdk to finish downloading so i can start developing my app.  i will probably try to use openxdk for the final product, but i figured $m will have some good documentation for me to learn from first

one thing i have not been able to find is a list of the kernel functions available for use or the includes necessary to execute a .xbe on the xbox.  are there any?

no one ever answered the question from my last post either, which i will now revise:

do the halwritesmbusvalue/halreadsmbusvalue functions change only the ram memory?  can i screw up my xbox?

Tomilius

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

You could try using Frosted Bios Loader... I'm not sure how long the change lasts, but it allows the fan speed to be set even if you're simply launching an XBE through it.