xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Changed A Hdd In A Debug Kit?  (Read 135 times)

C4TRMNTOR

• Archived User
Anyone Changed A Hdd In A Debug Kit?
« on: July 22, 2004, 09:21:00 AM »

Ask BCFosheezy, he's swapped HDDs in his Debug Kits.

SpikeReprise

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »

I think a debug kit would launch cdrws/dvdrs that contain a default.xbe (i.e. evox) thats debug signed.

You might also be able to get the hdd working doing a debugXB<->moddedXB hdd swap.

old engineer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »

Yes, a 'regular' Debug Kit would launch most .XBE's.

...However this is a Beta Debug Kit, which will only run Beta code. It won't run Debug or Retail code!

gavroche

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »

My Debug kit has a 120GB.

Just take out the old drive,

put in the new one.

Run the recovery disc.

Simple!

And no, the debug kit doent lock drives, even the original drive is unlocked.

But I dont know about a beta debug kit.  I cant see why it would be a problem.  My recovery disc has worked on many debug kits now and not one has had a locked drive or had problems running the disc.

old engineer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 10:29:00 AM »

Thanks for looking in...

As already explained though I understand what a 'regular' Debug Kit, does and does not do, however this one I'm working on a present is a Beta Debug Kit used to specifically debug Beta Live! games.

Summary so far...

1-The original drive IS locked, it won't unlock and the Xbox won't run on ANY other HDD, even those with the correct files on, cos it knows that whatever HDD you put in is unlocked and crunches out accordingly!!!

2-Tried the usual Debug/Dev Kit recovery discs, none of them run, as it appears code locked to running Beta code, rather than the usual Debug code or retail code.

My biggest problem is that I cant FTP in to the HDD to play around with the code or to extract it back to a P.C.

...Any ideas?

...Is there any way of 'fooling' the Live! network settings so that entry this way is possible via a P.C (A bit like the GC where it goes off to find a fake server when using the PSO hack)

...Oh, forgot to mention. I've even plugged the Beta Debug HDD into a 'enhanced' retail Xbox that would normally run okay on a 'regular' Debug Kit HDD, but hey, guess what, it didnt run at all, red/green lights (hence my suspicion about the code being different)...

gavroche

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 10:46:00 AM »

Oh well, looks like you are going to need to extract the eeprom and see whats going on there.

another option would be to extract the kernel from the flashrom, but that wont be easy without a test clip.

like i said in the email, i can take a look at the signatures and see how M$ has signed the code.   The drive may be locked, but if you can extract the eeprom, you will be able to unlock it, that is normally the only way to unlock a drive anyway.

gavroche

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »

Just spoken to a "fiend" at ***.x***.com.  It would seem that you are running a box that is in Kiosk mode.  I have been informed that you need the recovery disc for this mode or a way to erase the eeprom. If the eeprom becomes erased, the unit will revert to debug mode and will accept a debug signed restore disc.

Personally, I would make a copy of the eeprom and unlock the drive, its more fun than just a normal debug kit, so it would be a shame to revert it to a debug kit.

old engineer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

Wow, thanks for that.

...Youv'e got mail smile.gif