xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stuff Going Off The Tv Screen  (Read 71 times)

unleashx

• Archived User
Stuff Going Off The Tv Screen
« on: November 12, 2003, 02:36:00 AM »

It's the way most monitors are and the same case for the TV and the PC monitor. There are portion of the tube that are simply not visible, sometimes, up to an inch diagonally. It varies from TV to TV. It's recommended to work within a safe area, typically, 40 pixels on each side and 30 pixels on top and bottom. but it's kind of ugly since your "ball" will seem to bounce off of an invisible wall. You can implement a screen calibration/boundary check, though, and set the viewport accordingly.

SHiZNO

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 06:25:00 AM »

this is obvious, but you should also make sure you remember that the x,y coordinates are the center of the object, and you need to add the width/2 to the calculations or else it wont 'bounce' until the center hits the 'edge'...

unleashx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 11:09:00 PM »

Well, is there any game that really uses the edge of the screen? I don't think so. Games have much bigger views, so they pan the scene to trick you. Most of the time, it goes beyond the edges but by panning the scene, they effectively made it look perfect. They also use the safe zone and any good app does too.

Splinter Cell is one of the game that uses screen calibrartion but this is for the screen element display, or HUD if you will, not for the game environment itself.

coin

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

May I ask, because I experience this problem with the Evox Dashboard (latest build), if you're X-Box is perhaps equipped with the latest graphic chipset? (Known as Focus I believe, comes with X-Box v1.4 and above I think..)

I believe (or atleast hope) that this chipset is the cause of this behavior, but haven't been able to verify it..

d0wnlab

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 03:52:00 PM »

it doesn't have to do with the chipset.  This is an issue with the TV, more than the XBOX itself.

(I'm not only going on fact; I have a v1.0 and the off-screen issue is an issue for me in some apps (evox included)).

rob1309

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 04:21:00 PM »

smile.gif