xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Learning To Program  (Read 201 times)

Zanime

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« on: August 25, 2003, 04:41:00 PM »

Start be searching these forums.

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 06:03:00 PM »

CProgramming.com has a great Tutorial section that will get you up and running in no time...

Keep in mind you will need to get Visual C++ (or another compiler) to actually compile the code, and you will need Visual C++ Professional or Enterprise to use the XDK... Introductory (free), and Standard ($?) will not work with the XDK (as far as I know)...

GRiFFBALL

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 02:43:00 AM »

thanks this is great - yeah i got visual studio 6 is this ok?
also im trying to follow the tuts on cprogramming.com but i need help as it doesnt say how to set up the workspace ie, which project do i select?

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 11:56:00 AM »

QUOTE (GRiFFBALL @ Aug 26 2003, 10:43 AM)
thanks this is great - yeah i got visual studio 6 is this ok?

It will be ok for programming for Computer, but make sure it is either Professional or Enterprise Edition if you plan to program for Xbox...

also im trying to follow the tuts on cprogramming.com but i need help as it doesnt say how to set up the workspace ie, which project do i select?

The easiest thing to do is just make a new Text Document (Tutorial.txt, or something) and rename its extension to .cpp (Tutorial.cpp, for that example)...

Double-Click on that (it will open in VC++), write your code, then Compile it in VC++...

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 04:34:00 PM »

Looking at that specific tutorial, it seems to me that it would be a problem of format...

I'm not sure why the sample code is laid out as it is (it is normal in all other examples), but it looks like this:

CODE

#include
int main() { cout<<"HEY, you, I'm alive!  Oh, and
Hello World!"; return 0;    }

Although that should still work, it is generally better (and easier to visualize) to write it out like this:

CODE

#include

int main()
{
 cout<<"HEY, you, I'm alive!  Oh, and Hello World!";
 return 0;    
}

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 07:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (GRiFFBALL @ Aug 27 2003, 01:15 PM)
thank you so much
it works
i thought it was me too lol - now time to start some learning. oh yeah i checked and its enterprise ed.

With Enterprise Edition, you should be fine with setting up the XDK...

Since you just have Visual Studio 6 (rather than Visual Studio .NET), you will need to make sure that you get a version of the XDK that doesn't require .NET...

Since I too have Visual Studio 6 Enterprise, I would recommend you use the 4627 release of the XDK, since I believe it is the last version that is able to be used with Visual Studio 6, and it is a very good release...

If you need help in setting up the XDK later on, check out BenJeremy's great tutorial on it: Setting Up The XDK 4627

Xeero

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 08:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (LinksAwakening @ Aug 27 2003, 11:27 AM)
Since you just have Visual Studio 6 (rather than Visual Studio .NET), you will need to make sure that you get a version of the XDK that doesn't require .NET...

Since I too have Visual Studio 6 Enterprise, I would recommend you use the 4627 release of the XDK, since I believe it is the last version that is able to be used with Visual Studio 6, and it is a very good release...

If later versions of the XDK require VS.NET, any idea if the Xbox thereby supports applications written in C#?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Aug 27 2003, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (LinksAwakening @ Aug 27 2003, 11:27 AM)

If later versions of the XDK require VS.NET, any idea if the Xbox thereby supports applications written in C#?

Nope. No support for the .NET Framework or ILASM-based languages (C#, Managed C++ and VB)

Too much overhead. I don't think it will ever be supported on the Xbox.

Xeero

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Aug 27 2003, 12:24 PM)
Nope. No support for the .NET Framework or ILASM-based languages (C#, Managed C++ and VB)

I wouldn't think so either.  Any thoughts on why MS is requiring VS.NET then, if VC++ 6.0 will work just as well?  Does it have new libraries included or some garbage like that, or is it just to put a few extra pennies in their pockets?

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »

Do the latest XDK's support VS.net 2003? I just upgraded to 2003 and the 5344 XDK can't detect it is installed anymore!

Morden.

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 09:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mordenkainen @ Aug 27 2003, 04:54 PM)
Do the latest XDK's support VS.net 2003? I just upgraded to 2003 and the 5344 XDK can't detect it is installed anymore!

Morden.

I would imagine you just need to reinstall the XDK... Could be a case of it not recognizing it anymore...

You could also upgrade your XDK to 5558 (I believe that's the number), which I believe supports VS.NET 2003...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 10:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Aug 27 2003, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Aug 27 2003, 12:24 PM)

I wouldn't think so either.  Any thoughts on why MS is requiring VS.NET then, if VC++ 6.0 will work just as well?  Does it have new libraries included or some garbage like that, or is it just to put a few extra pennies in their pockets?

Well, it's more for the integration into their VS.NET Development Environment, and the ability to leverage the newer tools. I'm sure their own developers don't like switching between two different IDEs all the time, either.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mordenkainen @ Aug 27 2003, 12:54 PM)

Morden.

5344 does not support VS.NET 2003, only VS.NET "2002" (first release)

5558 works with EITHER release.

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2003, 10:30:00 AM »

In case anyone needs it...  HERE is a nice site with what seems to be some good DirectX Tutorials...

Gman22

• Archived User
Learning To Program
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2003, 10:34:00 AM »

... (edited)
Pages: [1] 2