xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xdk Questions  (Read 105 times)

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« on: July 29, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »

I'm new to this XDK stuff and had a few questions so I could get started.

1.  I have a mult bios tsop with a switch.  One half is x2 4977, and the other is an original 4132 kernel.  Could I flash over the original bios with the developers bios and have the same functionality as the original bios?

2.  What is the latest developers bios?

3.  Will the x2 4977 bios and all my programs and games on my hard drive still function normally?

I would greatly appreciate the help as I take on this new challenge.

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 02:36:00 PM »

Thanks, but could someone directly answer each of my questions?

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 07:47:00 PM »

So, I need to overwrite the original bios with the debug bios?  When I get the debug bios running, can I still access the ms dashboard?  What is the latest and greatest debug (developer) bios?  Thanks for any help.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (Frag Daddy @ Jul 29 2003, 11:47 PM)
So, I need to overwrite the original bios with the debug bios?  When I get the debug bios running, can I still access the ms dashboard?  What is the latest and greatest debug (developer) bios?  Thanks for any help.

"Latest and greatest" doesn't really matter.

If you have a multi-BIOS chip, you load two banks with the 512kb BIOS, either Complex 1.03 Debug (1.0 Xboxes only) or the TATX dual boot BIOS (any version Xbox)

You could also use the Phoenix BIOS Loader. Instructions are available elsewhere on that.

Come to think of it, there's a WHOLE PINNED THREAD on this subject. Maybe you should refer to that.

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 07:56:00 PM »

I have a multi bios tsop, so I'll flash over the original bios.  What's the difference between the complex and the TATX?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (Frag Daddy @ Jul 29 2003, 11:56 PM)
I have a multi bios tsop, so I'll flash over the original bios.  What's the difference between the complex and the TATX?

Don't flash the TSOP. Use the BIOS Loader and do it "on demand"

I explained the difference (please pay attention): Complex is strictly for 1.0 Xboxes, TATX works on any Xbox.

If you use the BIOS loader, there is the 5558 BIOS to use (from the latest XDK) that is "BFM" enabled.

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 08:08:00 PM »

Thanks, that's enough to get me started.  Why don't you wan't to flash the tsop with the debug bios?

garlic

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 12:02:00 AM »

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 02:56:00 AM »

QUOTE (garlic @ Jul 30 2003, 04:02 AM)
such as..

http://hydras-world....oxretailtodebug

Yes, excellent guide, and got me off of my ass to go and run the XDK Launcher (I had just been running the plain ol' M$ Dash in conjunction with the Debug BIOS).

I'd love to see that guide add a section on using the Phoenix BIOS Loader as an alternative.

Flashing the TSOP is bad because your ass is hanging out in the wind, and if it gets screwed up, you're stuck buying a mod chip to fix it.

The only real requirement on running a "BFM" Debug BIOS via the Phoenix BIOS Loader is setting up the XDK Launcher goods before hand. It's simple and painless, too. Some games don't like running under the Debug BIOS, either...

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 07:42:00 AM »

Since I have a multi bios tsop, I can flash over the half of the tsop with the original bios with the debug bios.  If I screw up, wouldn't I just be able to reflash the bad half with the good half, and if I wan't to play games, couldn't I just switch to my x2 4977 bios and play games from there?  Don't flame, I'm just trying to get all the info possible so I can keep my options open.  If this setup won't work, how would I run the XDK "on demand"?  I mean, could I still run my original bios and the hacked one off the tsop and boot up the XDK whenever I want?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (Frag Daddy @ Jul 30 2003, 11:42 AM)
Since I have a multi bios tsop, I can flash over the half of the tsop with the original bios with the debug bios.  If I screw up, wouldn't I just be able to reflash the bad half with the good half, and if I wan't to play games, couldn't I just switch to my x2 4977 bios and play games from there?  Don't flame, I'm just trying to get all the info possible so I can keep my options open.  If this setup won't work, how would I run the XDK "on demand"?  I mean, could I still run my original bios and the hacked one off the tsop and boot up the XDK whenever I want?

You would be loading the DEBUG BIOS on demand.

Instead of flashing your TSOP with the Debug BIOS, you simply run the Phoenix BIOS Loader and install the Debug BIOS (this replaces your original BIOS in Shadow RAM, not in your TSOP) when you want to develop with the XDK. When it reboots, the debug BIOS will look for the XDK Launcher, instead of your usual dashboard, and you'll be able to debug to your heart's content (until you power down/cycle).

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »

Instead of wasting your time with questions about the dashboard exploits and so on... since I have absolutely no intentof getting on xbox live, wouldn't it just be easier to flash half of my tsop chip with the debug bios and have the xdk on that half and my hacked bios on the other.  My only concern about flashing over the original bios was not being able to access the ms dashboard, but I found you can access it from the XDK Launcher.  I would rather use your expertise on the XDK rather than the dashboard hacks that both of us have no experience in.  That's just my opinion.   By the way, MXM is the greatest.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 02:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (Frag Daddy @ Jul 30 2003, 06:09 PM)
Instead of wasting your time with questions about the dashboard exploits and so on... since I have absolutely no intentof getting on xbox live, wouldn't it just be easier to flash half of my tsop chip with the debug bios and have the xdk on that half and my hacked bios on the other.  My only concern about flashing over the original bios was not being able to access the ms dashboard, but I found you can access it from the XDK Launcher.  I would rather use your expertise on the XDK rather than the dashboard hacks that both of us have no experience in.  That's just my opinion.   By the way, MXM is the greatest.

Well, I know there used to be some issues with TSOP-based BIOSes. I don't know what remains, or what's resolved.

The Phoenix BIOS Loader might have been targeted at the Exploit crowd, but it's perfectly useful to everybody else. The job it does is not DIRECTLY related to any exploit.

It just replicates the Debug BIOS'es ability to load another BIOS and run it until power is cycled.

It's really simple, and risk-free.

Frag Daddy

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2003, 04:40:00 PM »

Let's just say that I do install the Phoenix BIOS Loader and all the XDK software, etc...  How do you load the debug bios "on demand" is it through a memory card or what?

razorrifh

• Archived User
Xdk Questions
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2003, 04:44:00 PM »

you just run the loader program and it will load the bios. that should be it.
Pages: [1] 2