xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X3 & Hdd Upgrade  (Read 244 times)

magpie9

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »

Hi

Just installed  my X3 (and pro switch) to me v1.0 XBox (wires only install - phew!). Everything has been going well: installed X3 BIOS, installed EvoX dash. Now I want to install an upgrade 250GB HDD. I have backed up my original C: & E: drive to me PC using FTP.

When I try to boot the XBox (it is set to boot X3 Config Live!), it actually just comes back with a hardware error screen (code 9) indicating a HD drive problem. I also get the same problem trying to boot an EvoX CD. It would appear that the HD is checked before anything else is booted?

Am I missing something?

BTW: Is there no tutorial for X3 BIOS?

Thanks

David

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »

might want to try both cable select and master jumper settings (my 160gb western digital only works on master and not cable select)... just a thought,.. i don't have an xecuter in my box.

Reaper527

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »

while your at that hardware error screen, try putting in a slayers disc to see if it boots. if it does, then just chose the format bigger harddrive option and your good to go (although i strongly recommend replacing evox).

admanrod

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 06:09:00 PM »

Did you already install the 250GB. If you did. It sounds like you are booting without the chip turned on. But that doesn't make sense since you said you already installed EvoX. Which means the chip would have to be turned on in order to install it off a disk or via FTP. Did you use the EJECT button to turn it then you shouldn't have a problem and you should be able to set the new HDD up through EvoX. Here's a really good tutorial.

X3 Noob Guide

Good Luck
Adam

magpie9

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jan 20 2005, 02:37 AM)
although i strongly recommend replacing evox

What would you recommend as oppose to EvoX? I am sure this is just personal opionion? It seems to be the most common?

magpie9

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 01:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(admanrod @ Jan 20 2005, 03:34 AM)
Did you already install the 250GB. If you did. It sounds like you are booting without the chip turned on. But that doesn't make sense since you said you already installed EvoX. Which means the chip would have to be turned on in order to install it off a disk or via FTP. Did you use the EJECT button to turn it then you shouldn't have a problem and you should be able to set the new HDD up through EvoX. Here's a really good tutorial.
X3 Noob Guide

Good Luck
Adam

Yes I installed the 250GB disk. With the old disk installed it boots X3 Config Live! as that is what I have set (although I can instruct it to boot the EvoX off the old HDD too). When I put the new disk in I use the "Power" button to boot, the "Eject" button is for by-passing the the mod?

BTW: I used that link for installing the X3 and the BIOS - it doesn't have any contant for HD upgrade :-(

magpie9

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »

I will try this one. Unfortunately I won't be back to my Xbox until monday :-(

I am also going to try the drive in a PC over the weekend to make sure it is not DOA.

BTW: It is a Maxtor 6Y250P0, which according to http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list others have used successfully.

magpie9

• Archived User
X3 & Hdd Upgrade
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 01:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jan 20 2005, 02:37 AM)
while your at that hardware error screen, try putting in a slayers disc to see if it boots. if it does, then just chose the format bigger harddrive option and your good to go (although i strongly recommend replacing evox).

I have seen posts referring to "Slayers", now I just need to fnd out what that is and try it - thanks :-)