xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Tutorial For Converting Xbox Retail To Xbox Devkit  (Read 451 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Tutorial For Converting Xbox Retail To Xbox Devkit
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2003, 05:57:00 PM »

Well, the other option is to copy your EEPROM settings off and change your S/N to 0000000000000

wongtong2g

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2003, 07:27:00 PM »

sorry for sounding like a n00b, but

why would you want to convert your xbox to a dev one?

i know the real dev ones have extra memory, but i thought that was the only difference.

heathkit

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »

The remote debugging is awesome

However, now I'm unable to get our of XShell.  I can't boot into something useful - linux and evox both start loading, but then crash and the led flashes orange and red.  Any ideas?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2003, 09:02:00 AM »

Oh... BTW: I'd also be willing to host this tutorial on the MXM Tutorials page (I'll have to make a dev tuts page)

Xantium would most likely want to host this here, as well.

xfactordev.net would probably also host this!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (Flocool @ Jul 20 2003, 12:31 PM)
Hi,

first, thanks for this nice tutorial. But I have one Problem with this one: I only have a 256k Chip sad.gif. So is there any possibilty to up the Debug Bios on my Chip and go to the Evo-X Dashboard by selecting it at the XDK Launcher? This would be very cool smile.gif

CU FLOCOOL, coming from germany, so dont laugh about my english please biggrin.gif

Check out the Phoenix BIOS Loader, it may be able to load a Debug BIOS, with a little work. Otherwise, get a Chameleon or X2, which are the only real choices for a serious developer.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2003, 09:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (Flocool @ Jul 20 2003, 01:08 PM)
Hm the problem is im not good in solder sad.gif Is it much to solder with the X2?

CU FLOCOOL

Well, I wouldn't ever recommend somebody poor at soldering to try it (I've seen too many horror stories here)

Check out the Phoenix BIOS Loader. It may be possible to change out the BIOS in shadow RAM (until power down). I believe it may just require replacement of the 2BL to work.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2003, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (Flocool @ Jul 20 2003, 01:16 PM)
Hi,

and whats the Phoenix Bios Loader exactly for? Can I update my Bios when the XBox is off? And where does the Bos goes to, in my Chip or directly at the Box?

CU FLOCOOL, and thanks for your help wink.gif

The Phoenix BIOS Loader enables the Debug BIOS's capability of loading a 1MB BIOS file into shadow RAM from the hard drive.

Currently, they've only got the X2 4977 "Boot From Media" BIOS running with it, but TATX Dual Boot Debug BIOS might be able to be converted, if somebody (Cherry? Undead?) would be willing to take on the job. It would enable modded Xboxes with 256k chips to run Debug BIOSes for development.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (Flocool @ Jul 20 2003, 02:30 PM)
Ahh ok. But I see, if I have a Devkit Xbox, I can connect to the XBox from my PC, too?! So I can rename the evoxdash.xbe to xshell.xbe (and copy another, "real", evoxdash.xbe to my Box), update the Bios per EvoX and its ok! Am I right? Would be cool biggrin.gif

CU FLOCOOL

No, xbshell.xbe should be xbshell.xbe.... you don't rename anything. It would be pointless to run Evo-X on a dev box, for development work.

If you aren't using it for development work, why convert things over anyway?

The whole point of this tutorial is to set your Xbox up to run as close as possible to a true development Xbox. XBShell (the XDK Launcher) let's you change settings and gives you quick access to your devkit apps. You could put Evo-X in a E:\DevKit subdirectory to launch it (or better yet, Media X Menu, which is far better), but I would strongly advise against running Evo-X as a dashboard for any development; truly a bad idea.

XBOX War3z

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2003, 02:25:00 AM »

wink.gif
only have matrix chip so this would like rock biggrin.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2003, 10:47:00 AM »

Did you actually get 512k Debug 5558 BIOS working with the Phoenix BIOS loader?

The reason I ask, is because Artifex told me they had not had luck - YET - getting it to load.

If you've had success, great, but please contact him so we can get the process figured out for everybody to use.

stealth

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2003, 12:21:00 PM »

I'm bumping this up with a request to others to test his methods and see if it works for you.

Artifex

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2003, 12:28:00 PM »

I'd also like to encourage anyone who can try this to try it and post back on this thread with results.  The more information we can gather, the better.  We'd like to pinpoint exactly what it is that makes this work, and other methods fail.

I'll be testing this as soon as I get back to my xbox, which will be about an hour.

If it works, I'll also attempt it via a softmod only setup.

here's hoping!

--Artifex

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2003, 01:20:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

Can't wait to hear results on this!

Dgege

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2003, 01:27:00 PM »

Ok, finally got home from work (you should have seen how I dodge my boss on my way out !!)
Anyways, just some specs for you :
- My box is a v1.1
- I'm running X2 4977, with a custom color (done with XBtool)
- Kernel is 1.00.4977.01
- Dashboard is EvolutionX v1.8.3752 (Lastest)

I never modified Phoenix Bios Loader or the 5558 Debug Bios

I'm currently conducting some tests, and I'll post the results here.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2003, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (Dgege @ Jul 22 2003, 05:44 PM)
Ok.
When I remove xbdm.dll, I get a black screen, and LED cycling (Orange and Red)
If I replace xshell.xbe with a debug version of Evox, same thing happens (Orange and Red + Black screen)
I'll etst some more later this evening, gtg to the movies now ! (Having a g/f doesn't always help !!)

I don't understand why you would replace xbshell.xbe with evox - this makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.

...as does removing the xbdm.dll

I assume this is after you launch the Phoenix Loader to load in 5558 Debug.

Really, you should NOT run Evo-X during development. Run the XDK Launcher (preferred) or MS Dash - nobody should be interested in removing XBDM.dll or using Evo-X; just running a true Debug BIOS is great (any word yet, Artifex?)

EDIT: The above was a misunderstanding on my part... see below for further explanation! Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4