xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Baku Baku Animals  (Read 1267 times)

jizzlobber

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2003, 08:49:00 PM »

can't wait to give it a bash mate, but you should get it right before releasing it.
so you don't need any backgrounds done?

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2003, 09:52:00 PM »

actually, sure, backgrounds would be nice...ill upload a template in a sec for you to fiddle with...

after a bit of tinkering, ive decided reverting back to falling one square at a time will have to do for now, since i want to get some form out this friday, reverting now will allow me to fix other things (like maybe adding a 'real' AI, instad of the traditional left,center,right baku baku AI ...)

its not that falling a square at a time was 'bad', its just it seemed smoother slowly falling, but its nothing special ATM, when all is ssaid and done, i can go back and release updates, or anyone of you can easily hack some new routines(youll NEED to HACK away the code (with a long knife), its horrible lol!)

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2003, 01:53:00 PM »

no, one player will only consist of playing until you die and beat the 'champion' (high score)...

however, source code will be there and anyone could add their own mods for it. (story/online etc)

Bolch

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2003, 03:11:00 AM »

beerchug.gif  love.gif

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »

im not worried about that ATM...

right now everything 'fits' for my tv ( on other homebrew apps i always have to resize shit)...

anyway, if you want to add support for whatever resolution or what-not go ahead.

I just added custom sound tracks today, i decided to scrap the original music (for this release _atleast_) due to file sizes and just because it was getting annoying...

to flip thru tracks ingame white button goes prev track black next track (loads every custom soundtrack on xbox and makes one long playlist)...kind of like DOAX i guess

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2003, 04:18:00 PM »

oh, i also decided every background texture will be resized to .5 their attribs, for filesize (~200kb instead of ~1mb)... so i can hold however many backgroudns i end up with in memory, itd always starve the sound buffer when loading the next level ingame, so everything runs smoother this way, no loading at all etc.

BigGanja

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2003, 06:43:00 PM »

smile.gif

Cant wait 2 give it a try !! smile.gif

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2003, 10:26:00 PM »

Okay, its friday and the game is in pretty complete working order (added options menu, pause menu shit)

So now, all i do is wait for ~10 backgrounds ill post the template for it, anyone can make their own, i suck at graphics so its up to the elites out there now.

Wishi im going to try find you tomorrow in IRC and send you the game, you tell me what needs changing, ill try change it....then public release...

here is the template for you graphics artists
note: itll have to be in BMP format, and WILL be sketch/skewed by 50/50 (ms paint)...however if a background is really awesome and the half sizing screws it, i guess it wont matter and can stay that size...

http://www.geocities.../background.txt

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2003, 12:30:00 AM »

I cant stress this enough, i ONLY have the SMS version (and havent even played the Arcade version for half a decade), so i can only 'guess' what is in the arcade version from the screenshots (only about 5!)...so what i do is assume they have particles of blocks (and i add on them, eg panda blocks are green, so the block particle mess is green, kind of nice i guess)...

the game was actually for my -sister- to start with (she loved that game and it was kind of a 'hey look what i can do' project  but i decided why not share the wealth with the world? the down side of this was id have to add a bunch of 'user friendly' menus...high score, etc...

the menus are in, and they work decently, but they sure as hell arent going to win any awards...

making sure it works on everyones tv/console is beyond me, hell...im not even sure it wont crash if you have no custom soundtracks! lol...(im not about to erase all my CST data)...

...which is one of the main reasons this is open source....obviously every area is going to have room for improvement, and until i can sit down, plan every detail and work on what was wrong with this game and build on the good things, everyone who wants it will just have to contribute to the source code (theres a lot of potential for fixes)

if you are wondering what im talking about, its the 'small' things i just couldnt get in on time, like 'selecting' what songs to play and what not to (itll play ALL songs on the HDD, tho you can easily FF and RW them)...

anyway: as soon as i get a few backgrounds in, and i find wishi, this will all be public... i guess the place to post 'bugs' or what could be done 'better' will be this forum....if you are a programmer you could PM me code, if you arent you could just say what you want done and ill (or someone else!) will see about implementing it...
(preferably someone else, i want to give a RTS (DUNE/C&C clone) a try (altho ill still have a bit of time for maintaining baku baku. and eventually undertaking BB2)

anyway, the game is pretty good i think, its not a HALO or even a $50 game (but i have seen Breakout clones for $10)...the games obviously free, will need everyone out there to contribute their own magic, and no doubt will be as good, and eventually exceed the original Baku Baku--

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2003, 09:56:00 AM »

noone wants to try draw a background? i cant release until i have a few backgrounds (3 so far)...ill get my wife to do them until i have about 10, but she isnt the fastest drawer out there...
wishi tell me when youll be on irc, like what time (zone) and day this week and ill find you..

Wishi

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2003, 01:25:00 PM »

smile.gif

It's GMT here. So really any time 6 onwards I'm usually on each night you should be able to find me unless something comes up.

jizzlobber

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2003, 10:42:00 PM »

shizno... I can make some backgrounds tonight mate, i'll link you later and see what you think, add them if you like them.

640 x 480 bitmaps right?

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »

youll have to use that template (so you know where the blocks/scores/next blocks are...)

here is an example my wife did on what you should do (the score/next block needs to be black so you can see easily)

http://www.geocities.../bgpawsblue.txt

feel free to do whatever (you might not want to keep the 'outlining on the score, or have all the blocks outlined etc)...whats important is to note where the things will be

heres another example that i made
http://www.geocities...shizno/shiz.txt

just remember to use the template below!
http://www.geocities.../background.txt

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2003, 11:20:00 PM »

ah crap they came out retty shitty in JPG...anyway, my wif emade a few more today (we have 9 so far i believe)...but whatever you get to me ill add in...

jizzlobber

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2003, 11:26:00 PM »

smile.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8