xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Baku Baku Animals  (Read 1266 times)

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2003, 05:13:00 PM »

ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  tongue.gif

Rohaq

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2003, 09:36:00 AM »

cool.gif Brings back a lot of youthful memories wink.gif

I used to make freeware games using a simple package a few years back, and although it was no-where near C++, it usually meant a lot of complicated logic being used to perform tasks to get past the program's own limitations. Basically, here's a way I would have used in order to make a Baku Baku style engine that ate ALL of the blocks smile.gif

Perhaps you could, when an animal block hits the bottom/another block, have it fire four invisible tracer objects in the four directions (up, down, left and right, of course smile.gif). If a tracer collides with a food block that doesn't match the animal it came from, it does nothing and the tracer is destroyed, but if it collides with a food block that matches the animal, it marks the block by creating a unique value associated with the block (created perhaps by its X and Y coordinates) and sets it to 1, then the marked blocks fires off tracers of its own, which move on to mark similar blocks, or be destroyed by different ones. In order to stop blocks being marked multiple times, have tracers destroyed by marked, similar blocks.

Once all of the blocks are marked (once all of the tracers are gone), expand a circle around the animal block as a detector. If it collides with a marked block, the animal sprite moves over it and the block is destroyed, and the circle is reset and expanded again (whether its from the original point of where the animal block was, or where the last block was destroyed is your choice, but the former is probably the best choice, as the animal should eat the blocks in a more logical order smile.gif Anyhow, this process is repeated until all of the marked blocks have been eaten smile.gif

Anyhow, that's the method I probably would have used. It's probably a slow and wasteful method of doing it, but like I said, I wasn't working with C++. Workarounds were often used to do anything more advanced than a bouncing ball wink.gif

SamSam

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #107 on: December 24, 2003, 11:04:00 AM »

I was just wondering how the number in the heart at the top of the screen increment(while playing the game). I played a lot an i just can'yt understand how it works.

Hope you will answer this.

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Baku Baku Animals
« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »

the more 'combo' of food you eat, it adds to the opponents heart, and when the small hearts drop (time runs out)...it drops that number of blocks onto their board (then resets)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]