xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tutorials  (Read 100 times)

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
Tutorials
« on: February 02, 2003, 08:15:00 AM »

Search Button. Top right hand corner.

dankydoo

• Archived User
Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 01:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (xMonoxide187x @ Feb 2 2003, 04:15 PM)
Search Button. Top right hand corner.

I remember you asking this same question less than a month ago.

dahle:

goto:  www.xfactordev.com or something like that and

www.xbdev.net

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »

wink.gif

SumDumGuy

• Archived User
Tutorials
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 07:59:00 PM »

I have had the same problem. The only thing I can ever seem to find is stuff on DX8 and the like... I don't want to write games... I want to write apps. I haven't found any good tuts, so I gave up. I am just going to keep poking around the xdk and see what I can figure out... I have an idea for my first app read about it in this forum under XBGGM... We will see if I can muttle my way through this one...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 08:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (SumDumGuy @ Feb 3 2003, 11:59 PM)
I have had the same problem. The only thing I can ever seem to find is stuff on DX8 and the like... I don't want to write games... I want to write apps. I haven't found any good tuts, so I gave up. I am just going to keep poking around the xdk and see what I can figure out... I have an idea for my first app read about it in this forum under XBGGM... We will see if I can muttle my way through this one...

A young padawan, so impatient.

You must unlearn, before you can learn.  unsure.gif

Sorry, always wanted to say that.

Seriously, there is no "regular" application programming with the Xbox. All apps are structured like "games" - so you'll NEED to know DX8 just to display text on the screen.

This isn't Windows, with a big fat GUI API or Framework to make life simple. You can't put a text editor on the screen with three lines of code and a dialog resource.

YOU MUST LEARN DirectX 8.

SumDumGuy

• Archived User
Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 09:03:00 PM »

ohmy.gif

sad.gif

uhh.gif

(Running around the house with hands over ears and eyes, yelling "Say it isn't so!!!! Say it isn't SOOOOOO!!!!")

I think I will weep for a bit... and then I guess I will go grab a book on DX8... Thx for the heads up...

rjm2k

• Archived User
Tutorials
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 03:49:00 AM »

Download the source for open source apps like XBMP2 and mame-x - they will give you an idea of how an xbox application is put together.