xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Official New Project Announcement!  (Read 402 times)

dankydoo

• Archived User
Official New Project Announcement!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2003, 02:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (xMonoxide187x @ Jan 21 2003, 01:07 AM)
Telo, If you want to give me an idea for a better project, go ahead.

By the way, this is just the beginning, we plan to have a full release in the future (depending how this goes over) called the XIE, Xbox Internet Environment, which will include E-mail, Internet Browsing and the XIM client, integrated into one through a Tabbing system.

A few people seem to think this isnt a bad idea. I know it isnt the greatest thing thats going to be completly useful to the scene, but the main stuff is covered. I have no idea where to start for developing an Emu, and Homebrew Games are kinda lame. Porting is a tedious project, and this adds a new function to the xbox. Also, this is open source, licensed under GPL, so if someone wants to implement the code for this into something else, its readily availible.

The only place the scene is lacking more then the others is the Apps department, except for a few more feature-rich BIOS's, but no one on the team has the ability to do a project like that.

Like I said before, if you have an idea for something better, feel free to email//AIM me and I'll take it into consideration.

Edit -- And if you would have read through the posts, you'd know its going to have support for real keyboards.

It sounds like an interesting project, but that's about it.....interesting maybe not as useful as something else.  It just sucks that there are tried and true programs like this already available on the xbox, yes that's right.....LINUX.....give it a whirl.

dankydoo

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (telo{+} @ Jan 21 2003, 12:38 AM)
bottom please!

this is prolly one of the worst idea's i've heard.  On screen keyboards suck, and I can think of a million different apps that would take prioity over this one.... How many people have usb keyboards plugged into their xbox AND have a broadband connection always on, AND want to sit infront of there tv and get messages... ??  not many

You sound like confident programers, please take on a task better suited to the scene

You my friend are an ass.  Leave pepole do want they want.  You are not contributing anything but negativity.  So please stop trolling.

socrates

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »

biggrin.gif
And as a matter of fact i would love it if someone could make me a beta tester as i have never beta tested anything before.

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2003, 06:53:00 PM »

It sounds like an interesting project, but that's about it.....interesting maybe not as useful as something else. It just sucks that there are tried and true programs like this already available on the xbox, yes that's right.....LINUX.....give it a whirl.

Linux takes a long time to boot up, requires a shutdown or Halt command and is a confusing install for Linux newbies, while XIM doesnt have any of those problems. I admit at the XIM stage it wont be useful, but integrated into the full XIE Internet Environment (If you havn't read the other posts, its going to include Web Browsing and e-mail), could be pretty good stuff, epecially as Open Source projects.

And believe me, I've given Linux many whirls, and it isn't the same. This will be standalone, requiring mere megs of hard disk space, while the smallest Linux install (Debian) requires 256mb Swap and the main filesystem, depending on how much space you allocated to that, is still going to be much higher then XIM, or the full XIE in the future.

Socrates, if you're truely interested in Alpha//Beta Testing, contact me, I'd be glad to add you to that area of the team.

socrates

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2003, 08:30:00 PM »

wink.gif

CaliSurfer008

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2003, 09:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (quasy @ Jan 21 2003, 08:22 PM)
i think a stand alone web browser would be extremely cool... i recall that the xtender mod chip team had a web browser in the works but then they just quit the scene.. pitty. no offense to anyone of you guys. xim sounds like a wonderful idea, however i feel that a web browser would be much more useful to the scene.. surfing with only part of the screen with eds live debian distro kinda blows.
good luck with xim! smile.gif

Yes...but the initial project is XiM...we hope to implement a Web Browser after this release :-)

and if u gotta problem...deal w/ it!! lol
/me gives the crazy eye --> blink.gif

hehe

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »

Project Goals

XiM: Open Source IM Client for the Retail Xbox System.

The Present: XiM as full featured standalone instant messenging client, for AIM, and IRC.
Extra Goal: XiM with MSN and possible Yahoo support.

The Future: XiD as the "Xbox Internet Environment", including integrated full XiM client, Web Browser, and E-Mail Client.
Extra Goal: XiD with IRC Support.

The extra goals would be a "Version 2.0" if you will. If all goes well with XiM, this is the project plan. If people hate it, give us bad feedback (besides saying "This should be an e-mail/web client, and include *insert IM client of your choice* Support. Thats why it sucks!") and the scene essentially doesn't like the job done or the end-product, the development may stop with XiM or be passed on.

Either way, this won't stop as a beta, a full featured version WILL be released.

So if any of the future goals interest you, support the XiM project.

Thank you,
XiM Team.

CaliSurfer008

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2003, 10:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (Nailed @ Jan 21 2003, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (telo{ @ }+Jan 21 2003, 12:38 AM)
bottom please!

this is prolly one of the worst idea's i've heard.  On screen keyboards suck, and I can think of a million different apps that would take prioity over this one.... How many people have usb keyboards plugged into their xbox AND have a broadband connection always on, AND want to sit infront of there tv and get messages... ??  not many

You sound like confident programers, please take on a task better suited to the scene

I hate to say it, but I agree!   I see very little use for a stand-alone instant messanger.  On the other hand, a web browser would be SO much more value added.  I love browsing XBox-Scene from XBox-Linux but I dislike waiting for it to start.

Seriously, your efforts are much better spent on numerous other projects than a messenger.  I also think you're taking on a project larger than you might be able to handle since most IM specs are closed-source (Trillian took a long time before it was stable and Cerulean Studios is full-blown company).  Again, an simple web browser app would be much better and could offer very limited chat via a webpage interface.

But don't let me be a kill-joy... it's your project... not mine.

OK...everyone listen..the project is wut it is...you will not change that...if you're not happy w/ it...dont bitch...if we can pull this off...it'll be great and Im sure both of you will use it! Cheers! beerchug.gif

Nailed

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2003, 10:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (CaliSurfer008 @ Jan 22 2003, 05:27 AM)
QUOTE (Nailed @ Jan 21 2003, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (telo{ @ }+Jan 21 2003, 12:38 AM)
bottom please!

I hate to say it, but I agree!   I see very little use for a stand-alone instant messanger.  On the other hand, a web browser would be SO much more value added.  I love browsing XBox-Scene from XBox-Linux but I dislike waiting for it to start.

Seriously, your efforts are much better spent on numerous other projects than a messenger.  I also think you're taking on a project larger than you might be able to handle since most IM specs are closed-source (Trillian took a long time before it was stable and Cerulean Studios is full-blown company).  Again, an simple web browser app would be much better and could offer very limited chat via a webpage interface.

But don't let me be a kill-joy... it's your project... not mine.

OK...everyone listen..the project is wut it is...you will not change that...if you're not happy w/ it...dont bitch...if we can pull this off...it'll be great and Im sure both of you will use it! Cheers! beerchug.gif

I wasn't bitching.. only offering advice from one developer to another.  Learn to accept (or throw-out) advice as you get it and you'll go far in the world.. but don't nay-say it.

Personally, I pretty sure I won't use it since I have a wireless handheld I use for quick messaging.  But the code you write for this project would probably be helpful in other projects (such as a dashboard as someone else mentioned).

Best of luck.

nmajin

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2003, 01:34:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

exstazi

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2003, 03:51:00 AM »

ph34r.gif

Dirkbox

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2003, 05:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (dankydoo @ Jan 21 2003, 09:30 PM)
It just sucks that there are tried and true programs like this already available on the xbox, yes that's right.....LINUX.....give it a whirl.

Having installed Linux (ed CD 7) on to my xbox I would say that this is not an option.

Why well resloution on my TV, I can't see jack & at the time was told that nothing could really be done about it.

So have things changed?  if not then to me this is a good idea.

Although I thought some one was working on an IRC client, which to me would be much better.

woo

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2003, 07:22:00 AM »

I skipped reading half the mumbo jumbo, so excuse me  if things have already been said lol..

Wouldn't ICQ be a far more worthy option?  For one, it's a much better client (IMHO) and has the ability of SMS.  There are a few open source ICQ projects out there already.  Maybe one of these might make a good reference point?..

Just a quick thought.

AOLIM is a nice idea, but AOL.. bahh humbug.. it makes me ill, just thinking about it.

Bob Marley

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »

I second the Voice option.  Aim is cool, but VOICE would be awesome!
Is it possible?
It would spread...

BM

woo

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »

laugh.gif) to try first for a client that already has a lot of the donkey work done, i.e. source code available of a PC clone.  Porting must be a lot easier than trying to understand the protocols and creating your own client from scratch.  If that's AOLIM then fair enough, but I'd star with whatever is easiest first and if that's another client and not AOLIM, then so be it.  I always believe that making progress quickly helps you to stick with a project. smile.gif

I do see problems with the whole "virtual keyboard" thing.  chat can be quite time consuming and cumbersome as it is.  A virtual keyboard would be a horrible experience.  Personally, I believe a virtual keyboard and support for a USB keyboard would be the best option.  Not everyone has a USB keyboard, but the more software (linux aside) that supports it, then more people will invest.

telo{+}, had an interesting arguement, but I think flawed.  Many XBOX owners have their XBOX connected to a broadband connection 24/7.  All that I know do, because they have xDSL/cable and have their XBOX networked for XBMP/XBconnect/General FTP. etc..    Also, the more people that build apps with USB keyboard support (my hope is to see more emulators using this function) then the more people will invest in one.  Right now, if you don't use Linux, there are few reasons to invest, but this would be one worthy.  As for people that want to sit in front of their TV to send messages.  Possibly it's more to show off than anything else, but I can see people using it, especially as the project grows (fingers crossed)..

Thanks for your effort guys.. new apps are definately appreciated smile.gif  I serioulsy hope you intend on sticking with it and not abandoning it smile.gif but ICQ would be sooooo much better wink.gif lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4