xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Official New Project Announcement!  (Read 401 times)

FoxRacR17

• Archived User
Official New Project Announcement!
« on: June 29, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »

Yeah, what ever did happen to this? This sounds pretty interesting.  I know i would use it.  We only have one computer in the house, and most of the time when i want to go online and talk to my friends my sister, other sister, mom, or dad is on the computer.  And i have my xbox in my room hooked up wirelessly, so i would most definatly use this to connect to aim and talk to my friends.

HaloprO

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 12:50:00 AM »

this sounds so badass, any know how on the release?

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

Seeing as many ppl won't have an actual keyboard, and messaging via any on screen keyboard can be tedious.  It would be nice to have the ability to maintain an extensive text file full of responses.  I find that unless I'm having an actual conversation, most other things I send in IMs could be cut/pasted out of a generic file.  Would be simple to implement as well.  
Another nice feature would be something like keyboardserver.exe (I think) from the Bochs emulator.  This allowed you to use your PC's keyboard over the network really simply.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 11:06:00 AM »

Hopefully this will all be able to be done soon in MXM

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »

Me and my friend are starting a project called XiM, which will essentially function as an AIM Client to the Xbox.

The project is set to feature an On-Screen Keyboard, AIM compatibility through the AOL Oscar servers, and the ability to run on an Xbox console standalone, with no other things required.

Our project is in the very early stages, as we are just planning and stuff, but we've run across a problem, we don't think the two of us is going to be enough to deliver a good project within a reasonable amount of time. We're looking for NO MORE THAN 2 people with Xbox Programming Knowledge, the will to do this, enough free time to get some development done and the skill needed to complete and execute what is planned here.

Full position details can be discussed with me over AIM (xMonoxide187x), MSN Messenger ([email protected]) or Email ([email protected]).

We are looking to start developing in the Alpha stages in the upcoming weeks, and are currently waiting for the submission to Sourceforge.net to be released. This project will be licensed under the GPL and source will be released to the public VIA our upcoming Sourceforge.net website. (But the binaries dont have to be released wink.gif )

Once again, anyone interested can contact me at the above locations. Thanks for any support you can give.

gainpresence

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2003, 09:40:00 PM »

It'd be nice if it actually worked with a real keyboard.

Also, you can already do this with XB Linux. But it'd be pretty cool as a standalone thing I guess.

I'm useless at programming (I am learning, though). So I can't help you  smile.gif

budtron

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 09:43:00 PM »

It will work with a regular keyboard, but for the people that don't have a keyboard hooked up to their xbox, the build in keyboard would come in handy.  Know what I mean?

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 09:44:00 PM »

I forgot to add, I plan to put in real keyboard support, thats just so its more expandable to people without Keyboards. Cause, if you have a keyboard, you most likely have Xbox-Linux, and theres no need for this.

Advantages over xbox-linux with GAIM

No Confusing Setup.
No taking forever to load.
No having to Shut Down or Halt, just turn off the console or hit the on screen power button
On screen keyboard

Thats...about it.

budtron

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2003, 11:16:00 PM »

We are thinking of adding those components in the future, either as a new program, or an addition to XIM.

But first, obviously, we need to get XIM out biggrin.gif

budtron

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (budtron @ Jan 20 2003, 05:09 PM)

bottom

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »

XiM is an interesting idea, but wouldn't it be better implimented as part of a dashboard?

It certainly won't fly as a resident application (that is, you won't be able to get IMs during game play, since only BIOS-based code can possibly run in the background of an Xbox app), but the Dashboard would be the ideal location for this.

The more people start considering these types of apps, the more I think we need a dashboard that's extensible in some fashion. XBMP apparently now has code to support DLLs, so maybe it's time to look at that and implement an interface...

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2003, 02:39:00 PM »

Actually BenJeremy, that would be a good idea, but only as a sort of EvoX Plugin or something. The design I have setup now won't fly with that. Since EvoX already has keyboard support, it would be alot easier.

What I'm thinking is the simplest way to do this, since the xbox doesnt support any kind of Window, would be that the side where the IM between me and Budtron would be the IM area, and any IM would go there. When you get an IM, the name on the buddy list would flash, and you click on it to get the persons IM up in place of the other ones. So in essence, all IM windows will be Open, but they just wont show up all at one time, and you can switch between them by clicking the persons name on your buddy list.

user posted image

Help is still wanted guys. 2 spots left for coders. Could consider opening more if a group of people wants to join with eachother.

telo{+}

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2003, 05:38:00 PM »

bottom please!

this is prolly one of the worst idea's i've heard.  On screen keyboards suck, and I can think of a million different apps that would take prioity over this one.... How many people have usb keyboards plugged into their xbox AND have a broadband connection always on, AND want to sit infront of there tv and get messages... ??  not many

You sound like confident programers, please take on a task better suited to the scene

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2003, 06:07:00 PM »

Telo, If you want to give me an idea for a better project, go ahead.

By the way, this is just the beginning, we plan to have a full release in the future (depending how this goes over) called the XIE, Xbox Internet Environment, which will include E-mail, Internet Browsing and the XIM client, integrated into one through a Tabbing system.

A few people seem to think this isnt a bad idea. I know it isnt the greatest thing thats going to be completly useful to the scene, but the main stuff is covered. I have no idea where to start for developing an Emu, and Homebrew Games are kinda lame. Porting is a tedious project, and this adds a new function to the xbox. Also, this is open source, licensed under GPL, so if someone wants to implement the code for this into something else, its readily availible.

The only place the scene is lacking more then the others is the Apps department, except for a few more feature-rich BIOS's, but no one on the team has the ability to do a project like that.

Like I said before, if you have an idea for something better, feel free to email//AIM me and I'll take it into consideration.

Edit -- And if you would have read through the posts, you'd know its going to have support for real keyboards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4