xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xip Compression/file Format?  (Read 71 times)

rjm2k

• Archived User
Xip Compression/file Format?
« on: November 30, 2002, 11:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (defor @ Nov 30 2002, 12:31 PM)
Has anyone out there been succesful in understanding the file format of the .XIP files ms has compressed the menus into? The majority of the configuration are plain text, but contain embedded data files associated with the menu xap files inside the xip. My guess would be that these are zip files of some sort hence the Xip name. I'd like to do some modifications to the menus ms has proovided, however hexediting a few lines in here and there is quite troublesome.

Thanks in advance.

I've asked the same question and got nowhere.  I read somewhere that the menus use javascript, and it's clear that they can launch other applications.  I think this would be a good way of launching, say, evox from the ms dash, if we could alter them.

defor

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 10:53:00 AM »

Yeah- if you read the menus source they talk about may other .bmp, .xap, etc files- their syntax is pretty standard, but editing them is pretty much a no go until someone determines what archival format these are in. Hopefully someone else will take a look at this.

defor

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 12:20:00 PM »

Nevermind that- found dexip- heh Now full extraction of all the files in the xip would be handy, as would recompression to xip... oh well i want too much.