xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Clearing Lpc Solder-filled Holes For Chip Install  (Read 209 times)

mafatumatt

• Archived User
Clearing Lpc Solder-filled Holes For Chip Install
« on: January 14, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »

I'm trying to clear these out for my chip install... I tried using desoldering braid but it's pretty much burning the mobo, and i don't want the LPC aluminum to get torn off with the braid.

any ideas for how to clear holes but keep lpc in good condition?

iBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »

The v1.0 i did had filled hole, i tried the braid with no joy so i used a thin bit of wire in the iron and melted most of them out, the wire was just thin enough to go through the holes, but not melt in the iron. I did have some problems with the wire bending, but did most of them. In the end i had to go for the wire install instead of the pin header because i couldn't get them all out. Not sure if the V1.3 is ok for a wire install.

Ninelives

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »

I use a desoldering bulb and it works great. You can buy them at Radio Shack and they only cost a couple of bucks. You just heat up the solder and suck it out with the bulb.

mafatumatt

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ninelives @ Jan 15 2005, 05:46 AM)
I use a desoldering bulb and it works great. You can buy them at Radio Shack and they only cost a couple of bucks. You just heat up the solder and suck it out with the bulb.

but will using a desoldering bulb remove the actual aluminum on the lpc too?

its a 1.0 xbox im workin on.

ivebeenbad

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(mafatumatt @ Jan 15 2005, 12:36 PM)
but will using a desoldering bulb remove the actual aluminum on the lpc too?

its a 1.0 xbox im workin on.

the desoldering bulb will only suck up whatever is molten...

seriouslysilly

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

why not just do the wire install, use the existing solder on the lpc?

I wish i knew about this b4 doing the pin header.  It was such a pain attempting to desolder that I just took each pin and soldered each one separately.  I then slipped the plastic back on then the chip on top.  took 4 hours just to do this.

kdr_nrz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »

i wish i would have thought about the wire install.  i tried the trick with a thin wire to pull the solder out.  it woks but plan on spending a little bit of time if you are going to do it completely and right.

Firstkngt

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »

I have a 1.0, and to get the solder out of the holes, I heated up the solder, and then I blew it out with a air compressor while it was still melted... Worked great, and left no splattered solder anywhere... Just use a small end adapter for like blowing up inflatables, so that you have a small, controlled air stream....

kermit007

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »

Here is what I use to get the solder out (YMMV).

15watt (or 30watt if I'm in a rush which I'd advise against highly if you haven't done this with small, easily scorched electronics like the XBox allot)

Solder Vacuum Sucker (Bulbs suck...and not in a good way) - quickest way, but can take way longer if not done right (or use the Solder Braid w/Solder Flux to clean up the remnants)

Solder Braid w/Solder Flux - the key here is solder flux you apply to the braid. Get a light layer on one side of your braid then put a corner of the braid on the point then apply soldering iron and remove soldering iron once solder stops going up the braid.

Or I just do a wire install (did it once and just didn't like it).

Chodberry

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 08:21:00 AM »

After much messing about I found a method that worked great:

1. remove the motherboard from the case
2. prop motherboard on it end (wedged between to paperweights or a second persons hands) so you can access both sides of the board at the same time.
3. Place a vacume "solder-sucker" over a LPC pin hole (I found the top surface easier for this).
4. Use you soldering iron on the same pin hole on the other side. When it's molten, suck up the solder and remove the heat.

- The reason for this method was I couldn't get a good enough seal over the solder before it dried when still installed in the case, to suck up the solder, always leacving some behind. The above method removes all of it, but make sure you suction seal is good. I did it wihtout a second person holding the motherboard, but it would have been easier :-)

Chodberry

lajaro

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 08:37:00 AM »

I went through this last night removing my old aladdin from a 1.3 - took me about an hour.

Just patience and a little braid (couldn't find my flux).  Cut the braid at a 45 degree angle, stuck a corner of the braid in the hole as I was heating it up. I was worried about the constant heat being applied to the lpc points, but all is ok.

Tried a Radio Shack pump-action solder sucker but was creating more problems than it was worth.

vcip72

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 08:47:00 AM »

I used the same method as Chodberry and had quick great results

apcki

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »

Nonsense! Its all about heating up the solder and then shaking the mobo vigorously until it comes out.  You gotta shake really hard though. Seriously though, you should probably try one of the methods listed before, or just use the wire method, it works just as good, and like they say, it doesn't really matter what it looks like on the inside, so long as it works properly.