xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Game Selector Instructions  (Read 170 times)

whackawookie

• Archived User
Game Selector Instructions
« on: July 04, 2002, 03:55:00 AM »

it wouldnt make much difference if you made it into an iso or not.  i have instructios for the original game selector which i think couldnt be too different.  im gonna give the new one a go now to see if i can get it working.  it kind of sucks though because some games have the same folders so they wont go together

NeuroKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 06:11:00 AM »

Let me clear this up for you. You can place games that have the same directory together on the same disc as long as they don't have the same file name.
EX. Game1 has this file structure
c:\media\halocredit.txt
c:\media\halohelp.ini
     Game2 has this file structure
c:\media\bat47.map
c:\media\batman.txt
      When you copy them to the CD\DVD you will have one folder that has all the files in it EX.  
c:\media\bat47.map
c:\media\batman.txt
c:\media\halocredit.txt
c:\media\halohelp.ini
      Once again this works only if the games in question don't have a file that is the same (Has not happened yet with over 25 games)

Using the program:
1. Rip the ISO (I use xISOv073 because it rips every thing without error, xboxisotool-1.1 has problems with telling you it ripped successfully but after you burn it out you'll find it didn't. I’m sure others work I just don't use them).
2. Place all your game files in one folder (Root) if a game has the same folder as another game or has the media folder place all the individual files into a single folder with the name of the folder they have in common (see above). Rename the game default.xbe files to defaula.xbe, defaulb.xbe...so on (it's defaula.xbe NOT defaulta.xbe)
3. Edit the select.xmt file EX. If you had 3 games you wanted to place on a CD\DVD Batman, Spiderman, Nightcaster (Batman = defaula.xbe, Spiderman = defaulb.xbe, Nightcaster = defaulc.xbe) then your select.xml file would look like this
<NAMES>
   <NAME>Batman</NAME>
   <NAME>Spider-man</NAME>
   <NAME>Nightcaster</NAME>
   <NAME>Not Used</NAME>
   <NAME>Not Used</NAME>
   <NAME>Not Used</NAME>
   <NAME>Not Used</NAME>
   <NAME>Not Used</NAME>
   <NAME>Not Used</NAME>
   <NAME>Not Used</NAME>
</NAMES>
<XBEFILE>
   <XBE>defaula.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defaulb.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defaulc.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defauld.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defaule.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defaulf.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defaulg.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defaulh.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defauli.xbe</XBE>
   <XBE>defaulj.xbe</XBE>   
</XBEFILE>

(Fell free to use spaces and other characters) save this file, then place it along with the rest of X-Launcher 07b's files into the root Dir leaving the default.xbe file alone.
4. Burn the files out in UDF format, in Prassi PrimaDVD (it's what I use)
you would use
"UDF - Up to 128 in filename length, any char., plus 8+3 tree (Bridge)"

That’s it.  (Warning\Note) some games when loading a saved game go back to the default.xbe file to load-up, but this file is now being used by X-Launcher 07b so it will not allow you to load a saved game it will gust kick you back the game select screen.  Game that this happens on that I know of are Oddworld and Cel Damage (probable more) you can fix this problem by using a Hex editor but that’s for another post happy.gif

Hope this helps.

NeuroKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 12:50:00 PM »

Note: to clarify once you have all your files in your root director you burn all the file in the root directory out , DO NOT burn the root directory folder (take the files out of the root directory\folder to burn them).
Also It's better if you DON'T make an ISO out of these file but rather just burn the files out in UDF format 1. it saves time 2. the program that creates the ISO file could (and some times dose) mess up. 3.It's a lot easier to copy the CD\DVD this way.

NeuroKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 12:41:00 AM »

I just tried Xmenu but it was to much of a hassle if your using it on every game you back-up. I mean who wants to find art work for every individual game and play with it to get it to work (1min with XLauncher or 1 hour with Xmenu) and still no name. It works fine but it takes to long to make it look nice.
XLauncher was the first Xmenu was the clone. wink.gif

NeuroKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2002, 10:20:00 PM »

Where are you getting this Xbox-multi folder from, is this what your using as Root?
If so then it's choice number 1 copy Media" folder , "default.xbe" , "select" in to the D:\XBOX-MULTI folder.

Columbian Snow

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2002, 11:25:00 PM »

ok here is what i did step by step & still didnt go past the "X BOX" screen just stays there & never loads.

i got all the files for circus maximus & cell damage (using evoX)
i then put all the files for Circus & Cell in a file i named XBOX-MULTI. (changing the default first of course)
so i have defaula & defaulb.
edit select & looks like this:

<NAMES>
<NAME>CIRCUS MAXIMUS</NAME>
<NAME>CELL DAMAGE</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
<NAME>Not Used</NAME>
</NAMES>
<XBEFILE>
<XBE>defaula.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defaulb.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defaulc.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defauld.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defaule.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defaulf.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defaulg.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defaulh.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defauli.xbe</XBE>
<XBE>defaulj.xbe</XBE>
</XBEFILE>

i then put the select, default & the media folder in along with the rest of the game files (XBOX-MULTI folder).

then i used primo to burn the all the files as a data disc
here is the order of the files i burned

data (game folder)(circus maximus)
media (folder)
piLaunch (game folder)(cell damage)
rtd (game folder)(cell damage)
*13 single game files (cell damage)
defaula (circus maximus)
defaulb (cell damage)
select
smallfiles (game file)(cell damage)

burned it on dvd-rw (tested & works on my xbox) with the correct options "UDF - Up 128 in filename length, any char, Plus 8+3 tree (bridge)"

am i missing something?

NeuroKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2002, 05:48:00 AM »

1. Read my how to it's right above you.
2. I take it when you say defaula you mean defaula.xbe.
3. Your not dragging the XBOX-MULTI folder into Prassi but rather all the files/folders in side it.
4. your not overwriting any folders or files IE the Media Folder
5. You say you have successfully burned games before right.
Note: If you hade read my how to you would have noticed that Cel Damage will not allow you to load a saved game if you use X-Launcher (It's one of only a few so far)

Please Please READ ME EARLYER POSTS (they may not help but it will make me feel better).

justmejg

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2002, 09:23:00 AM »

I get an error everytime i try to edit the xml file saying I cannot look at it in xsl. what files do I need from what rar? God I hate being a newbie at this stuff! ph34r.gif

Columbian Snow

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2002, 10:06:00 AM »

i know biggrin.gif ... as far as the xml file all u need to do is :

right click >> Properties>> Opens With>>> Change >>> select NotePad.

thats as far as i got waiting on NeuroKnight for more help.

justmejg

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2002, 10:31:00 AM »

Ok I think I figured everything out now I just cannot seem to configure prassi. I got to the burn files option but cannot find the setings mentioned with long file names and characters. Any help i would be most grateful. biggrin.gif

justmejg

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2002, 05:28:00 PM »

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

NeuroKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2002, 05:44:00 AM »

Columbian Snow have you tried to just burn out the X-Launcher files with out any games, just edit the xml with some fake names and see if you can boot from that (with luck it should at least load the select screen, if not your copy of X-Launcher may be bad).
By this time it should have worked (sound like tour doing every thing right). At the very least I would try useing X-Launcher with 2 different games.
You said my post confused you, if so what parts?

Columbian Snow

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2002, 12:31:00 PM »

biggrin.gif.

also made amped , outlawgolf , bloodwake

anyways ...  NeuroKnight  thanks for all your help.

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2002, 05:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (Columbian Snow @ Jul 13 2002, 06:31 PM)
glad it worked for you justmejg.

i gave up on it & went ahead & used compleX .... better program .... no issues on games like cell damage & so on & i got it to work! .... very nice layout & you can add music to it .. so when it loads to the game select screen you will hear your song playing... very cool. you add .png screenshots of the games & on the gameselect screen u will have the names & screenshots of the games. very very nice.

i was able to make circus maximus & cell damage & both worked .... loaded cell damage from a save on my xbox hd & played biggrin.gif.

also made amped , outlawgolf , bloodwake

anyways ...  NeuroKnight  thanks for all your help.

Ok...
I want to run Complex's Menu on evolution's dashboard (I want to run the games from complex menu OFF HARD DRIVE)

I told evolution to run complex's selector.

I configured (so I thought) Complex's menu....screenshot in right menu..copied smashing drive to "games" folder on E:
ran the xdimaker to make .xdi file (which supposedly worked)

Anyway when I run the selector from evolution...Complex's menu shows up and shows the screenshots...
But when I choose the game to play it goes back to the evolution boot page.

What am I doing wrong... It has to be how I am putting together Complex's menu I guess.

Any help will help  smile.gif

NeuroKnight

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2002, 05:28:00 AM »

Sorry it didn't work for you, for the life of me I don't know why.