xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Can I Use To Flash My Tsop With Cromwell?  (Read 515 times)

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
What Can I Use To Flash My Tsop With Cromwell?
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »

It is quite easy really. Just run an xbox linux installer dvd, such as Gentoox Stardust. During the install steps, it asks you if you would like to flash your TSOP. Just type yes and answer the other questions that follow.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »

When you first turn on the xbox do you get no video? What about the front light? Is it normal green?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »

I suspect that you might need to do the 3 wire trick to get your Xbox to boot. The problem with the Gentoox flasher is that it only flashes the first 256kB - the option to fill the TSOP with multiple copies of the BIOS hasn't been enabled (essentially it seems to use Raincoat 0.5 in its default mode instead of Raincoat 0.7, where auutofill is enabled by default).

Here is a picture of the 3-wire trick wiring points, but I can't find a post about it, so you'll have to do a bit of searching. The short version is that you ground A18 and A19 to make the Xbox boot, then remove the ground from A18 and 19 and reflash the TSOP with a 1MB BIOS, or using a tool that has the auto-fill option enabled.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »

Yep. 3-wire trick.
If I recall correctly, the gentoox installer asks what size your flash is before flashing. It has been awhile since I played with xbox linux tho, so I could be remembering wrong, but if you select the wrong size on a 1.0/1.1, this is the result.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 9 2011, 04:10 PM) View Post

I suspect that you might need to do the 3 wire trick to get your Xbox to boot. The problem with the Gentoox flasher is that it only flashes the first 256kB - the option to fill the TSOP with multiple copies of the BIOS hasn't been enabled (essentially it seems to use Raincoat 0.5 in its default mode instead of Raincoat 0.7, where auutofill is enabled by default).

Here is a picture of the 3-wire trick wiring points, but I can't find a post about it, so you'll have to do a bit of searching. The short version is that you ground A18 and A19 to make the Xbox boot, then remove the ground from A18 and 19 and reflash the TSOP with a 1MB BIOS, or using a tool that has the auto-fill option enabled.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=131986

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »

No.

Yes, but you'd be better off doing it properly - there was some discussion I recall about needing to use a pull-down resistor if you want to permanently ground those address lines, to limit the amount of current drawn.

hackernoob2011

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »

Cheers guys,

I finally got round to trying this and the 3 wire trick fixed it, I now have a working xbox with a 1mb bios running Gentoox OS.

thanks again guys,
now I should have a bit of an easier time with my second one