xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Youtube App For Xdsl?  (Read 330 times)

worldwhore3

• Archived User
Youtube App For Xdsl?
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »

so while xdsl is dead in terms of future progress thanks to the 2.6 kernel abandoning a lot of older hardware, i have been wondering if it would be possible to instead develop applications to achieve things like viewing youtube videos.

since flash - if you get it to work on dsl - is horribly slow, and cluttered on the 800x600 display ratio of the xdsl, perhaps it would be possible to build or convert an existing youtube app for use on xdsl?

with the advent of the android os, people are all about "apps," these days.  for a system as limited in terms of resources as the xbox/xdsl, maybe it's time to think about applets/etc. to go about certain tasks.

i doubt anything will happen, but i thought i'd put it out here.  :\

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Youtube App For Xdsl?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »

All the Android devices I own have more memory than the xbox console.

Youtube works from XBMC though.

worldwhore3

• Archived User
Youtube App For Xdsl?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »

i have a 128 Mb device running android.  xbmc on xbox has a youtube applet, i guess im just wondering what makes it so different developing for dsl.

the ram specs should be fine with swap, the processor should be fine.  i dont know anything about scripting, but i "think" it "may" be possible?

this is all just brainstorming, by the way.  i was hoping to get some conversation going about the possibility of it.  a think-tank, if you will.

pdidd

• Archived User
Youtube App For Xdsl?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »

Of course it would be possible.  The question would be does anyone care enough to do it?

I would like to see something like that.  but I don't have the talent.

luther349

• Archived User
Youtube App For Xdsl?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »

back when youtube used flash 9 it worked on a xbox just fine. but flash sense 10 has totaly sucked under linux it uses way to mutch memery and shit. it got alot slower. give html5 youtube a shot if you have a newer firfeox installed. or use a site like keepvid to leech them into mp4 or something. and its not a case of 2.6 abadioning the hardware the hackers did. you need to do some tricks to linux to make it work on the xbox driver patches etc and nobody is willing to submiit new ones. the few xbox owners left that run linux for fun dont have the knoehow of the xbox to make the drivers themselfs.