xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lightwight Gentoox Whiel Still Retaning Functionaitly?  (Read 233 times)

NaiGuy

• Archived User
Lightwight Gentoox Whiel Still Retaning Functionaitly?
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »

Ok, after a long time of fiddling I at least managed to get a decent boot setup.

I myself am currently running SliM login manager set to auto-login. this uses less resources then the GDM home comes with, but requires a keyboard as it isnt patched. however after configuring auto-login this is a great login manager but requires you to edit conf files manually (as most things im using seem to do).

I'm also using IceWM as a window manager and conky + idesk for desktop and system montoring. I use arpox 15-23MB/54MB at bootup. and for the most part gives a smooth boot process. I'm sure fluxbox and other WMs would also be good choices for WMs (I'm sure XDSL and Xbeian have proven this).

I'm also looking into Arora as a web browser (runs fast and if fully standards complaint, but I'm seeming to have issues with flash and big web pages atm) and other things.

I'm also installing wine for testing windows games that are said to work and so on and so forth. I'll post more as I continue testing things.

scullc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »

sounds interesting....i'll watch out for any updates.

f34rther34pr

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »

r u gonna try to run this on the 2.6 linux kernal?

NaiGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(f34rther34pr @ Sep 6 2010, 02:55 PM) View Post

r u gonna try to run this on the 2.6 linux kernal?

It's already been said It can't be done on Loopback installs due to issues with the way fatx works. it would be nice to find a way to keep xbox functionality while using a better kernel but it seems highly unlikely.

yea your going to have issues with flash. your better off with firefox or google chrome with ad-block and flashblock. or not installing flash at all. the xbox does not have the power to run flash 10 with any decenty. first flash 10 is a cpu and ram eating program these days. and many flash video sites like youtube are using h264 as there video format way more then anything with 64mb of ram can handel. so you have 2 formats just dishing more then the xbox can handel.

yeah I already noticed that much running it on firefox. but as I've noticed newer versions of firefox run really slow on the xbox. I honestly doubt having ad-block is enough to warrant using it. as for chrome I've never used it.

as for arora, the only qt programs i can seem to get installed are the ones defaulted with the home edition of gentoox, anything later has hardware/kernel issues and wont install. perhaps it needs to be patched? without a version higher then 4.4 Arora can't get flash use. but at this point in time it dosen't seem worthwhile as it is.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »

your better off using a flash converting site theirs lots of them to dl and convert your online videos into a format the xbox can handle. convert files does you tube and mega video.