xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Puppyx Wip  (Read 176 times)

luther349

• Archived User
Puppyx Wip
« on: June 26, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »

yet another brick wall. looks like i cant patch for puppys squish fs and fax x. the patch files conflict. squish fs 3.0 patch would need to be alterd to play nice with the changes made to the xbox kernel. this is byond my abilty.

wile i can still not use fatx and make this a live cd only using the xbox kernel without fatx im shure users what the abilty to save use swap and so on.

joesnose

• Archived User
Puppyx Wip
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »

Hello,

Glad someone is attempting this. wish i could help but i am very limited in such matters. well i have wanted puppy for xbox for a long time.

If you are saying you have puppyx running only without fax support, please let this puppy out into the wild.

niceone.

luther349

• Archived User
Puppyx Wip
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »

the issue is i cant get squish and the xbox kernel to play nice. when i finnly did patch the kernel to work puppy simply when into panic mode. i think its due to it using a newer squish fs then the kernel supports. iv seem some tools to retro it into a older squish.

but even getting passed that the other patches llike alisa and x are just to old. so unfortunately i had to abandon the project. its just not possible to get a new distro on the xbox anymore without massive downgrading of pretty much everything.

if the guys at xbox linux would get us some new patches like a new 2.6 kernel with squish support built in witch it has by default and modern xorg and alisa patches i could make puppy x. but there to busy with the 360.

if i did have these things the woof builder is a easy gui i could use to inject the patches and xbox kernel into the source code and wala puppy x in a matter of hrs or days depending on hoe fast my pc would compile it. but being gcc4 can compile 2.4 kernels and nooine of the patches will work on the new xorg or alisa that will not work.

f34rther34pr

• Archived User
Puppyx Wip
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Aug 23 2010, 10:48 PM) View Post

the issue is i cant get squish and the xbox kernel to play nice. when i finnly did patch the kernel to work puppy simply when into panic mode. i think its due to it using a newer squish fs then the kernel supports. iv seem some tools to retro it into a older squish.

but even getting passed that the other patches llike alisa and x are just to old. so unfortunately i had to abandon the project. its just not possible to get a new distro on the xbox anymore without massive downgrading of pretty much everything.

if the guys at xbox linux would get us some new patches like a new 2.6 kernel with squish support built in witch it has by default and modern xorg and alisa patches i could make puppy x. but there to busy with the 360.

if i did have these things the woof builder is a easy gui i could use to inject the patches and xbox kernel into the source code and wala puppy x in a matter of hrs or days depending on hoe fast my pc would compile it. but being gcc4 can compile 2.4 kernels and nooine of the patches will work on the new xorg or alisa that will not work.

if your abandoning the project at least put a download link to wut you have done so far. someone else might be interested in trying to get it working on the xbox. just a thought.

P.S. do u hav the lastest X-dsl? i cant find it anywhere. all the ones that "claim" to be real are just v.1

Man With A Bag

• Archived User
Puppyx Wip
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »

The latest X-DSL is available on this site, if I'm not mistaken...

f34rther34pr

• Archived User
Puppyx Wip
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Man With A Bag @ Aug 29 2010, 11:31 AM) View Post

The latest X-DSL is available on this site, if I'm not mistaken...

u forget to link it

luther349

• Archived User
Puppyx Wip
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

well the kernel is hear http://sourceforge.n...xboxhdm2/files/ in lba48. its 2.4 with squishfs. really that's it. download lucid puppy and the devx.sys file then manually install the gcc2 deb and deps for it. you need gcc 2 to compile a 2.4 kernel gcc 4 does not work. you will have to track down guides on how puppy works being i dont have all the links on hand. but devx.sys pretty much turns puppy into a dev station compiling etc. you need the dev.sys for your version normal in the same folder as the main iso on the ftp server.

idotfan worked on that kernel i just tried to make it work in puppy. but when i couldn't patch xorg sound etc i relised even if i got it working everything else would be broken.

lucid puppy is still puppy but also can use ubuntu files rather then just being restricted to the puppy .pet format.

and hear is xdsl 0.6 http://sourceforge.n...ux/files/X-DSL/

that was the last offical one.