xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xdsl Wireless?  (Read 115 times)

osmorphyus

• Archived User
Xdsl Wireless?
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »

hmm, i dont quite get all of what youre asking, so ill break it down and respond as necessary.

USB is backwards compatible.  this means that a usb 2.0 devce will work on usb 1.0 input adapters.  they may be slower in terms of data transferring, but you shouldn't see much of a difference on a wifi dongle.  usb also as a general rule, does not require drivers, hence the "universal" part of the devices.  linux is probably different, however.

most linux distros have wifi support built into them with stock basic drivers for most devices.  using a USB dongle however may prove difficult.  you may need to define the dongle as mounted, i'm not too sure.  i know my ipod will not be detected unless it's plugged in during boot up, *but* an ipod can be seen by an OS as a removable drive, so that may have something to do with it.

linux is frustrating as hell when it comes to usb devices, i know that much.  its frustrating as hell with almost anything thats removable.

i run my xbox thru my dd-wrt modded router.  in both xbmc and dsl, i defined my ip address, gateway ip, and subnet mask.  my router is wireless, but obviously, dd-wrt is controlling the ip and connectivity of the router, and the internet is then routed in via crossover cable.

*realistically* you *should* be able to simply plug in the usb dongle, boot the xbox, and define your tcp/ip settings.  look for the control panel in dsl, and go from there.  it will have your video settings, theme settings, internet settings, etc.  you may also need to go to http://197.168.1.1 in your web browser to setup the usb dongle for DHCP, static IP, etc.

Red_Breast

• Archived User
Xdsl Wireless?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »

I just had a look.

Under XDSL/Setup/Net Setup/ndiswrapper there are 4 boxes to fill.

inf file
device
sid
wep

For 'inf file' the box is already filled which I tried anyway and got connection failed. It says '/mnt/hda1/windows/netcard.inf'
'device' is also filled in with 'wlan0'

So I guess I need to work out how to get the Netgear inf from the CD driver disc to xDSL.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
Xdsl Wireless?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Red_Beast @ Sep 19 2009, 11:33 AM) View Post

So I didn't try it. Before I start thinking about a 3rd ethernet cable extension I was wondering if anybody has managed to get wireless running?
Can you get USB wireless adaptors but in USB 1.0/1.1 flavor?
Or how about the official wireless adaptor that Microsoft released. I have a vague memory about these things only being released in USA.
Xbox MN740 Wireless Adaptor

I'm tempted to just try the one I have anyway.

Ahh Perfect! I was waiting for someone to ask. Here is what you do (I have one):

You will need a Six volt power supply and a standard ethernet cable
If you have the xBox game disc that comes with it, use that to set it up. If not, you need to flash it with the firmware from the D Link DGL 3420 108AG Wireless bridge - which is basically the same thing with a different shell housing.
D Link Product Page
Link to a Guide
FYI About the guide though - its pretty vague. When I did it, I had to edit the setup files either before or after I ran the MSDN setup to make it think I needed the "next version", or else it won't upgrade. You also need to remember that it will say "upgrade failed" at the end of the process, even though it actually succeeded.
Remember to unplug all other sources of internet when you're done.
After the upgrade is complete, you have to manually configure it from your computer.

Good luck with that.

- 2 Bunny

2 Bunny

• Archived User
Xdsl Wireless?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Red_Breast @ Sep 22 2009, 11:43 AM) View Post
Interesting so thanks for posting.
I haven't tried to use my Netgear .inf yet (as far as I'd got to in last post) but I followed the guide link.
The 3 downloads along the top are still available so I grabbed them just in case.
Further down the link to the Microsoft page for 'MSBNDownload.exe' throws up a list of bing searches and it looks like a few places still have it. The ftp link for the D-Link manual appears to be dead.
Like I said I have a vague memory they were only released in USA. I'm not certain.
If so would it connect to my European Netgear wired and wireless modem/router?

I think that even the obscure England hardware is still universal and it will still work with any  802.11b or 802.11g wireless network. If you already have one, go for it. If not, they are too expensive to be worth it.

Try the instruction guide link again. It downloaded just fine for me (it is within a Compressed (ZIPPED) folder).

- 2 Bunny