xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Swap As Ram  (Read 75 times)

bc54

• Archived User
Swap As Ram
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(momo24 @ Mar 17 2009, 06:52 PM) View Post

Does anybody know how to make xdsl to use the swap as ram. becuase everytime i go on youtube. it frezzes, so is that psossible or not. Please help out!!!!

are u using a frugal install? if so, i don't think you can setup a swap file, but if you are using a loopback or native install, then during the installation you have the option to create a swap file. the default size is 60mb, but i don't know how much you would need.
-peace

bc54

• Archived User
Swap As Ram
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(momo24 @ Mar 17 2009, 08:35 PM) View Post

Im using loopback, because if you have used xdsl, its kinda hard to go to certain websites without it freezing up, so If I used the swap file as ram it much better and not freezing up. I heard there was way but I don't know how

well, you could have set it up during your installation, but i don't think you want to have to reinstall. if you have version 0.6, then i know that in the desktop menu there is a system dialog (maybe tools, idk cuz my xbox is on right now) and in there is a swap file creator app. i don't know the exact name, but it definitely has "swap" in the title. that app opens up a terminal gui that asks you where to put the swap and how big it should be. the you just have to edit the linuxboot.cfg to point to your new swap file (the program should name it knoppix.swp, i think)
-peace out