xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Finally Have Digital Out In Xdsl! (both 0.6 And 0.7)  (Read 56 times)

bassquake

• Archived User
Finally Have Digital Out In Xdsl! (both 0.6 And 0.7)
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »

Finally found how to get digital sound out to the optical (or coax if youve done my mod!) for Xdsl 0.6 and later including 0.7.

Heres how:

- Ensure Alsa drivers are installed.
- Run Emelfm as super user.
- Create a new file asound.conf and put it in etc folder
- Paste this in:

CODE
pcm.card0 {
type hw
card 0
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1025
slave {
pcm "hw:0,2"
period_time 0
period_size 2048
buffer_size 32768
rate 48000
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

pcm.skype {
type asym

playback.pcm "dmixer"
capture.pcm "card0"
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "skype"
}

Then, in bash, type: alsactl restore to restart the alsa driver.

Start up Firefox and flash etc will play through digital!

For Xmms, you have to goto in Xmms, Preferences->Audio I/O Plugins->Output Plugin by choosing ALSA, then Configure and set Audio device to 'nVidea IEC958 (hw:0,2)'

For Xine, set the Audio output to Alsa, then change "Notify changes to the hardware mixer" under the Audio tab to 2. (You will probably need to change to Advanced under the GUI tab to see the extra settings).

Apologies if its a bit of a hassle, but I dont know how to set alsa to default to digital out. Ive no idea why "skype" is included but no sound would work without it. I took that code from here:

http://ubuntuforums....p/t-219631.html

I would have thought:

CODE
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 2
}

Would set it to use digital by default but it didnt work.

Hopefully somebody has a more elegant solution!  biggrin.gif

stevewal

• Archived User
Finally Have Digital Out In Xdsl! (both 0.6 And 0.7)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »

Hi bassquake,
Good work
Please stick around because there's some stuff that maybe you could help me with, envolving the new version of skype and sound.

Theres an .asoundrc file in /home/dsl for xdsl 0.6 which is very similar to yours to creat a slave device to enable the system mixer. This was'nt needed for xdsl0.7. The difference is in the the skype command ur using. Now i've also put together a new skype package for xdsl but I can only get audio to work when run as root (not a good idea) so i'm hoping your asound.conf might solve this.

I'll get back soon
Steve.