xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Newbie With A Situation..  (Read 68 times)

Master Reefed

• Archived User
A Newbie With A Situation..
« on: April 15, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »

There are many programs to "backup" your eeprom. personally, I have always used Evox to do this.
in the system part of Evox, there is a "backup" button.  click that, it'll say "backing up" then when its done there will be a new folder inside of your evox folder called backup. his folder contains your eeprom.bin, and hdd.txt which is what you need to backup your XBOX.

And as far as making your XBOX Linux only... cant...without a chip that is.
you can redirect your softmod, to have it launch straight into Linux after the softmod boot sequence. but you still need all your xbox files on C and E to boot. (without a chip)

your best bet is probably to use unleashX, and go to settings, and set the button autolaunch for Linux, if I hold down the white button while booting, I go to Linux, If I hold down Y I go to XBMC, If I hold down B I go to Avalaunch,etc...

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(ydgmms @ Apr 18 2007, 03:26 AM) View Post

Get a cheap chip (DuoX2 ~ $15) install. The DuoX comes with Cromwell..so your set there.
Get GentooX or Xebian (I use Xebian). And follow the guides for that.

It may take a few tries. It took me about 3 or 4 tries to get it setup the way I wanted it... But now I have a 24/7 xbox server running Xebian with 2x 300GB HDs. I use it to serve media to my desktops/laptops/xbox/xbox360, as well as use it to do my downloading. I control it from my desktop/laptop with SSH and VNC. Works beautifully.

1. what program do you use to serve media?
2. wouldnt xdsl be faster than gentoox or xebian?

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »

xdsl doesn't offer a native install on partitions larger then so many GBs. I would have liked that.
but Gentoox and Xebian do.

I use SMB(Samba) to serve to my desktops/laptops/xbox1
I use TwonkyVision (for now, until uShare gets fixed) to serve uPnP to 360.