xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Yet Another Frag  (Read 114 times)

HemiDart

• Archived User
Yet Another Frag
« on: September 19, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »

System Specs: Xbox version 1.1, xecuter 2.0 pro pin-header install, locked Maxtor 6Y120P0, kernel version 1.0.4976.2.

This system has worked flawlessly for 1.5 years.  Then one day, push the power button, and it frags.  It does not frag with the chip disabled, and works as a normal Xbox.  Every time I try to boot it with chip enabled it frags, then with chip disabled, it boots to the screen asking you to set the date and time.  Once the date and time are set, it remembers the date and time until you try booting with the chip on again.

Took the Xbox apart, checked continuity to pin header at the LPC, looked ok, checked LPC voltages as follows, with mod chip removed from the header, d0 connected thru the chip:

Pin-------d0 grounded (chip on)--------------------d0 ungrounded (chip off)
1-----------0--------------------------------------------------1.52
2-----------0---------------------------------------------------0
3-----------3.3------------------------------------------------3.3
5-----------.15------------------------------------------------3.24
6-----------5.04-----------------------------------------------5.04
7-----------3.3------------------------------------------------3.3
8-----------3.3------------------------------------------------3.3
9-----------3.3------------------------------------------------3.3
10----------3.3------------------------------------------------3.3
11----------3.3------------------------------------------------3.3
12----------0--------------------------------------------------0

My understanding from reading the forums and tutorials, is that my pin 1 voltage is wrong chip on or off, and pin 5 might be wrong chip on, depending on what you believe to be true.

I put the Xbox back together, then it miraculously works “chip on” for half an hour, turn it off, then back on and frags again.  Great, I figure I must have a cold solder joint that finally showed itself after all this time.  I take everything apart again, resolder the pin header, check continuity, check voltages and they are the same as before.  Xbox still frags chip on all the time, works normally chip off.  I check continuity and voltages over and over again until I get sick of it.

Tried flashing the bios with two different PC’s through parallel port with x2prodos and x2bm.  Cannot connect to the chip no matter what I do with port settings.

Finally the question, am I missing something I can try?  Do you think my modchip is toast?  Do you think my Xbox is ok?  I’m willing to buy another modchip if I thought the Xbox was ok, but the different LPC voltages from what is considered normal have me worried.  Unfortunately, I don’t have another modchip available to play with for troubleshooting.

Thanks for any help, desperation has set in!