xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Solderless Vs. Soldered  (Read 495 times)

jive

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

Konman: lol fishing line, I like that, i think ill try it next time, maybe with floss or something =)  good idea. remember, the only thing you need to do is to properly secure the chip so do what you think it will take to get it properly aligned. Also, yes you can solder, you can use pin headers if you want, or you can use wires (its much more difficult to solder the chip in so i REALLY dont recommend soldering the lite+)

RedShirt:  Yes that is what im saying, you dont need to bend the metal or shave the plastic. If the bolt you are using isnt that thick, then there will only be a tiny warp when you screw down the mobo, and that really shouldnt effect your mobo operation in the long run (i havent had any complaints of failed boards with this method. so i honestly dont think there is anything to worry about.)

broseph

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

I have a x2lite+ and it was installed about 8 months ago.  It has never come misaligned and in fact everything worked right from the get go. I even accidently kicked my xbox when it was on the floor once and it still worked. I've taken it in the car with me back and forth from school to home and it's still ok, that's saying a lot especially when driving on PA roads.

If you get the solderless chip, just take your time, read the instructions and do it right and it should be ok...as long as you don't drop kick it or toss it out the window.

shank69xo

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »

Soldered all the way. It will never misalign. Throw it across the room for all I care, but it will still be in place.

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 12:45:00 AM »

If u can do it urself, get a solder one. But at least I would never pay $30 to a moder to get my chip installed. Thats why i got the Plus. Had quite a few alingment problems and also rewcked the hole were the screw goes so it woudlnt stay there any more. So i did the nut+bolt and been using it like a maniac (and also moving it) for around 3 weeks and it works PERFECTLY.

spyvie

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »

I got the lite+ so that it can easily be removed if I so desire. Mine has been transported and knocked around quite a bit without any alignment problems. Just make sure you snug it down good without fuckin the screw in and out 100 times. Just don't over tighten, if the chip is starting to flex that's more than plenty.

Proctologist

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

Moleman

• Recovered User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

Soldered definetly the way to go. But make sure you do not accidently crush the wires leading to the switch bank with the dvd drive.

(BTW, 300. W00t!

needforspeed924

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

I did a solderless for my 1st chip, I didnt have to align it, it worked the first time. BTW, solderless would always be btter thoguht.

ltoolio

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »

Go with the soldered...

It takes some practice and some patience, but you will be left with a much more solid connection.

Good luck!

LT

TNHitokiri

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »

sad.gif Had to do it for my X3, all the pins got unaligned and I said to hell with it  and did a wires.

Skyblast

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

smile.gif

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (shank69xo @ Apr 13 2004, 11:17 PM)
Soldered all the way. It will never misalign. Throw it across the room for all I care, but it will still be in place.

The ONLY excuse to use solderless is if you cannot find someone to solder the chip in right.  The price you will pay is that you may have problems in the future with misalignment.  Any soldered chip can be removed very easily if needed, so there is no other excuse.

Plus, like it was said already, either throw your box around or beat someone over the head with it and the chip will still be right where it needs to be...

Digitalden

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »

smile.gif  And no I dont have any soldering expirance. Just take your time.

Fally

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2004, 09:25:00 AM »

tongue.gif

Krazzt

• Archived User
Solderless Vs. Soldered
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »

Soldered.  No questions asked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3