xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: xUbuntu v0.9.0 - Ubuntu Linux Distro for Xbox  (Read 149 times)

noob2modding

• Archived User
xUbuntu v0.9.0 - Ubuntu Linux Distro for Xbox
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »

anyone know the login name and password to use this?

NeoTony

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »

I just got xUbuntu (Live CD) fully working on my softmodded Xbox.  biggrin.gif   I burned the iso to an Office Depot CD-R/W, since the TDK CD-R/W I started with didn't read well at all on my Samsung drive.  I also bought a wireless USB keyboard & mouse made by Micro Innovations at Wal-mart for $30, both of which were recognized in xUbuntu (I understand that many mice for such combos aren't).  I logged-in using "live" as the logon AND password.  The main & final problem I had to correct was getting Firefox to go out to the Internet.  I had the right settings for my Xbox's IP address and Gateway that xUbuntu uses by default, but the DNS wasn't set to the correct address of my router (192.168.0.2).  After some digging, I found that the DNS address is saved in a file under "/etc/resolv.conf", which I was able to locate.  I was able to edit it with the text editor in-cluded with xUbuntu and surprisingly was also able to save these changes (changed "192.168.64.1" to "192.168.0.2").  I presume this file was saved to the Z-partition, which I understand is also used for the swap file.  However, I suppose I may need to repeat this process the next time I boot up using my Live CD.  I was also very limited in the type of pages that could be pulled-up, restricted mostly to simple Google searches (although Google image searches could also be pulled-up fine).  I noticed that the <y> & <z> keys were reversed too, which I think is most likely because this is the standard German keyboard layout.  For some further/related info., refer to the following link:  http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/XUbuntu .

Evox117

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

Hurm...It sucks that this has a login screen. Because not only do the controller drivers fail but Us without keyboards (me) cant log in. Oh well. If the porters arnt smart enough to include those things...Then perhaps we shouldnt be using there system.

QuickFirePT

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »

Is there any way of getting a Hd version of this?
I'm a total fan of Ubuntu, but I can't run this on my Xbox because I don't have any dvd drive smile.gif

PsiDOC

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »

Tried the latest distro of this and the live cd crashes out on a kernel panic in the squashfs part of the boot.
SQUASHFS error: zlib_fs returned unexpected result 0xfffffffd
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache block [1b6500]

Then a whole lot of other zlib_fs and read errors pertaning to the above
and
exec: 221: .: Permission denied
Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init

I have used 3 different types of media including, ll which read correctly with other files / programs in the xbox.

Anyone with linux experience have any suggestions?

Ta.
Psi

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »

IPB Image

ViSiON2099

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 01:59:00 AM »

to be honest.... i dont like it at all... it is SSSLLLOOOWWWWW... there are black lines through a part of my screen.. the mouse started trailing to the left about 10 min. in... it is set up for dial-up and cant figure out how to set up broadband.... took about 2 full minutes to load mozilla browser..... did i mention that its SSLLLOOOWWWW... doesnt tell u how to load from hdd, if u transfer files to hdd it hangs on black screen. im gonna try xebian or gentoox next! i tried gentoox about 5 years ago and i was impressed by it then.. i was surprised that my wireless logitech mouse/keyboard combo worked without manually loading any drivers.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »

yea using something mainline like ubuntu just isn't gonna happen even if we rebuild all the drivers.  but something like puppy tiny core or even arch would probably still work being there all base Linux without the fat.
Pages: 1 [2]