xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Windows 98 Working In Xdsl  (Read 845 times)

m.e

• Archived User
Windows 98 Working In Xdsl
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 02:36:00 PM »

I've finished the tutorial now :) . It located at my site www.psphacker.com

As for getting Windows XP to work on xbox I don't think going to happen. BartPE was the first thing I tried. But I got a message from one of xdsl developers today saying that there will soon be a version of xdsl that uses even less RAM so you never know.  :P <

CandieCorpse

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(celinedrules @ Apr 6 2005, 04:58 AM)
Can't you read?

yes i can fuc*ing read that was posted a day after his post moron.

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »

AS  SOON AS I GET OFF OF WORK IM GONNA Try this
PLUS I ALREADY HAVE W98 SE in iso format <

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(m.e @ Apr 6 2005, 07:31 PM)
I've finished the tutorial now :) . It located at my site www.psphacker.com
As for getting Windows XP to work on xbox I don't think going to happen. BartPE was the first thing I tried. But I got a message from one of xdsl developers today saying that there will soon be a version of xdsl that uses even less RAM so you never know.  :P

Do you DARE to make a bet on that? :D

Windows XP is more stable than Windows 98 under QEMU. OK, maybe the memory-requirements are a bit high (oh, holy developers of xDSL... please give us your new releases which cost even less memory...), but it IS possible. In the worst case scenario, it should use the/a SWAP-file.

And it is fairly easy to remove the memory-cap from the installer of Windows XP (won't install with <64MB memory, if I remember correctly) so it will even work when you only allocate 32MB of memory to QEMU. :)

I'm going to try this, seems pretty interesting... let's check out what that accelerator-module REALLY can do. :beer:

This post has been edited by The Zep Man: Apr 6 2005, 10:58 PM

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(CandieCorpse @ Apr 6 2005, 10:39 AM)
yes i can fuc*ing read that was posted a day after his post moron.

That's funny you dipshit cause if you look, they have he same date. Maybe you might know how to read but you don't know how to read dates. Not the date from his original post but the date when he said the tutorial will be done.

m.e

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »

celinedrules give it a rest. <

Dark_Woofer

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »

I'm trying it right now, i'll post my results later (maybe i'll post over win98 if all goes well) <

Dark_Woofer

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »

First notes :

- Your iso must be in ISO-9660 format

- After making the partition with fdisk, u have to restart the emu. For example, if the files are located to c:\xboxwin, you would need to execute "C:\xboxwin\qemu.exe" -L ./qemu/ -boot a -fda WIN98C.IMG -m 128 -hda win98.img -cdrom win98.iso

Just wanted to contribute <

Dark_Woofer

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »

Now starting the install, say 99 minutes left  :lol:

Well, i'll keep you in touch!

Oh yea, i edited ¨Start kit (nonbootable).bat¨ to make an 1go filesystem instead of the original 500mo one <

monkeyboyj

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 07:57:00 PM »

will this tut work with windows 95? I dont have an old 98 disc but i have a 95 one. <

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »

STEP 6: If you iso is NOT bootable run “Start kit (nonbootable).bat”. Else run “Start kit.bat”. If your not sure if the iso is bootable or not try “Start kit.bat” first.
The bat file makes an 1 GB disk image and then start qemu.

STEP 7: Ones in qemu you should press F1 to get to dos prompt. Then type fdisk and choose option 1. Then type format /S C: and last but not least type R:\setup.exe .

step 6 do we do this on PC or on adsl running?

step seven??
same question really doesnt say where or when!! Remember we should have a picture walkthru for the dumbasses like me.
 iim ready to do this

but im totally clueless <

Dark_Woofer

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »

For step 6 u must download the file linked  at the tutorial page, and do it from your pc

step 7 u will see, no need to press f1 (well i didnt had to)

oh and by the way, win98 run slower than on my p1 133mhz with 32mo of memory.  :angry:

This post has been edited by Dark_Woofer: Apr 7 2005, 04:00 AM <

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »

well i cant get the windows 98 to install part i made the image "simple" but when i click the qemu.exe NOTHING!! so i cant get windows 98 to install at all. so im stuck with a image and no ways to make it  install. qemu wont boot
anyone know the reason why? the image is in the same main folder as the qemu.exe  HEEEELP <

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

Nice job!

Been playing around with this. Got Windows 98 up, trying to get the damn tun/tap ethernet setup working but its being difficult. I tried a copy of Windows 95 but it refused to boot right (I think my disk is scratched, I can't dump a good image).

Its possible to run DOS and muLinux though. Each booted fine.

Heh, I have like a million disk images on my computer prepared and ready for testing since I've been using qemu on my PC for months. Its too bad XDSL uses RAM heavily at this time, since setting qemu to 16Mb is very low for OS'es like Windows 98.

If I have time, gotta fiddle with this accelerator module! Or recompile qemu on the Xbox from source...just gotta find that last squeeze of speed now...

This post has been edited by RiceCake: Apr 7 2005, 04:43 AM <

CandieCorpse

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(vicviper74 @ Apr 7 2005, 02:18 AM)
well i cant get the windows 98 to install part i made the image "simple" but when i click the qemu.exe NOTHING!! so i cant get windows 98 to install at all. so im stuck with a image and no ways to make it  install. qemu wont boot
anyone know the reason why? the image is in the same main folder as the qemu.exe  HEEEELP

do you have the linux version of qemu? that could be the issue.

oh by the way i got this working its amazing man , thanks for the tut very well done  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16