xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Solderless Header Pin  (Read 268 times)

pjfan281

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« on: January 30, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »

well the title says it all. as i'msure you realize the xbox-scene has the news of the new solderless headerpin. post your opinions here!

mine:  it's a waste to me. i have a 1.0 board and didnt use header install.  so people would say well it'sgood for all the rest of us, but is it?   this third party selling to chip dealers just hikes the prices of chips further. hopefully, though, the dealers themselves will catch on and implement such new technology.....if it works  <

Perplexer

• Recovered User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »

Well, I'm die-hard solder all the way.  I wouldn't use it personally.

But I think this is a great idea, and surprised that nobody's developed it sooner.  This is 10 times better than any pogo "solution"; it should be a very secure method and will eliminate LOTS of damaged motherboards.

Although it doesn't solve the problem of 1.5 motherboards which are missing +3.3V and GND at the LPC.  <

ehosin

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

solderless headerpins will be GREAT, because not only will they be more secure than the IRRITATING, ANNOYING and STUBBORN pogo pins which keep getting dealigned, but they will also be good for soldering n00bs like me, who cannot possibly solder wires into holes so small without frying the xbox motherboard first.... solderless headerpins will also mean that ppl will be able to buy cheaper solder chips with a solderless hp which should turn out to be cheaper than solderless pogopin chips (EG . xecuter lite+ series)  <

player1

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »

If indeed these things fit nice and tightly and dont wear lose at all then Im sure theyll be a big plus for the scene .  <

lookformeb

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

Whats the point of a solderless headerpin where you still have to solder the d0??  The d0 is probably the most difficult part to solder, if you can ever consider that difficult.  :blink:   <

player1

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (lookformeb @ Jan 31 2004, 10:54 PM)
Whats the point of a solderless headerpin where you still have to solder the d0??  The d0 is probably the most difficult part to solder, if you can ever consider that difficult.  :blink:

You dont have to on the lite plus do you ? A modified lite plus without the  pogos would surely be better option if these things do actually hold firm wouldnt it ?  <

Drew224

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 01:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (lookformeb @ Jan 31 2004, 04:54 PM)
Whats the point of a solderless headerpin where you still have to solder the d0??  The d0 is probably the most difficult part to solder, if you can ever consider that difficult.  :blink:

There is always the alternate d0 point. Any newb should be able to solder that.  <

thegreata&p

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 04:36:00 AM »

Plus the real problem has always been in nailing the LPC points and knowing
that they've been soldered perfectly.  The d0 point is relatively easy to solder
and very easy to understand if it has been soldered corretly or not (ie FRAG)
There is always the alternate d0 point. Any newb should be able to solder that.

<

whyaskus

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 04:47:00 AM »

Darn wish they they had those before I install my chip, I was in too much of a hurry and soldered the header pin in the wrong slots, Took me awhile to heat the solder back up and pull the pins out with a pair of pliers. (Ruined the header pin)
So I installed wire.  <

akillamuthafucca

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »

Solderless header pin is kewl concept but I think it still can cause problems with those with older boards with lpc holes filled,and also may damage the m/b after you remove cause of the cotter pin like action  <

lookformeb

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (player1 @ Jan 31 2004, 05:09 PM)
You dont have to on the lite plus do you ? A modified lite plus without the  pogos would surely be better option if these things do actually hold firm wouldnt it ?
Clip your header pin into the LPC port, then plug your modchip on it, solder the D0 (or use our next solder less design for D0) and you are done!
 <

Tommy Vercetti

• Archived User
Solderless Header Pin
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »

Are these available anywhere?  <