xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Latest V1.3 News  (Read 2756 times)

XanTium

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (XB0X_Mod @ Jun 8 2003, 12:19 AM)
This is probably the DUMBEST question asked and I can't test it myself so here it goes lol

What about the v1.2 xbox BIOS, in my xbox it's a 5101.01 and same dashboard as v1.3 with same bios, and its manufactured in... 2003-02-12  wink.gif

Mine works fine so I am totally ASSUMING this is v1.2... but If the BIOS is the same as a v1.3... but i think or i am totally sure because i did xbox live updates... that the dashboard was older... before i updated to this version dash... i think anyway

but.. Would the v1.2 BIOS work on a v1.3 seeing as its the same revision or is the decryption done by the MCPX, have a different RC4 to decrypt and it would not work, maybe the v1.2 has the same RC4 BIOS as v1.3 but the v1.2 allows this aka a test for us modders by M$? I assume this is a possibility hen again just wondering wink.gif

you could very easily test that.

try to boot your v1.2 with evox 3.6 or X2 4973 for v1.1.
If that boots , then v1.2 has the same RC4 as v1.1

I modded a xbox LE v1.2 with an X2 Lite with X2 4973 ... it booted fine ... so v1.2 has same RC4 as v1.1

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (XB0X_Mod @ Jun 7 2003, 06:19 PM)
This is probably the DUMBEST question asked and I can't test it myself so here it goes lol

What about the v1.2 xbox BIOS, in my xbox it's a 5101.01 and same dashboard as v1.3 with same bios, and its manufactured in... 2003-02-12  wink.gif

Mine works fine so I am totally ASSUMING this is v1.2... but If the BIOS is the same as a v1.3... but i think or i am totally sure because i did xbox live updates... that the dashboard was older... before i updated to this version dash... i think anyway

but.. Would the v1.2 BIOS work on a v1.3 seeing as its the same revision or is the decryption done by the MCPX, have a different RC4 to decrypt and it would not work, maybe the v1.2 has the same RC4 BIOS as v1.3 but the v1.2 allows this aka a test for us modders by M$? I assume this is a possibility hen again just wondering wink.gif

Well, the problem is that they changed the 'hidden' bootloader that is contained in the MCPX. That can't be changed by a mod, but can be exploited; in the case of the 1.0 and 1.1 changes, the exploit used basically defeated the bootloader because it relied on external data (from the BIOS image itself) to extend itself, since it was a tight squeeze into the penny pinching MCPX ROM area. The exploit made a slight change, since the signature of that area was weak enough that flipping a bit here and flipping another there, resulted in the same signature, fooling the hidden bootloader into 'trusting' the external data, which at that point was corrupted to feed execution into an unencrypted bootloader.

Long story short, M$ changed this hidden bootloader code to remove the exploit. No previous BIOSes will work without having a 'valid' 1.3 RC4 key, unless a new exploit can be discovered (probably not likely on the new exploit).

This means that BIOSes for the 1.3 and beyond will REQUIRE an RC4 key to unpack/pack just like in the old days. Finding the RC4 will probably ALWAYS be possible, until M$ integrates the CPU/FlashROM/MCPX into a single unit (unlikely). Neat hacks mod crews used to discover that RC4 are no longer available, however.

I suspect this is why others are sniffing around what Team Xecuter is trying to do; they are no longer capable of fathoming the new RC4 themselves, since the tricks have been lost (as expected when the first dual-boot BIOS came out and demonstrated to M$ the holes they needed to close - and as forewarned with a big fat, well-deserved  'I told you so").

:::sigh::: M$ will only keep getting better at this. Xbox was a proving ground of sorts... Xbox Next will undoubtably be very (though not completely) uncrackable. Xbox was a valiant first attempt, however, considering the sheer volume of scrutiny (including monetary awards) M$ was going to face, given the undeniable virulance directed at it by the hacking community.

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2003, 03:18:00 PM »

1.2 - so far all green xbox's are 1.2 made only around 17 - 25th feb

is it a philips dvd drive - solid plastic just behind the xbox tray front

if it has 2 holes behind tray front it's a samsung - doubt it but ya never know

XB0X_Mod

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2003, 03:59:00 PM »

Could M$ hide this code on the hdd ?

lacitpo

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2003, 09:06:00 PM »

So from what I'm reading there are a bunch of really smart people working on this.  I am not one of them.

Onto my question that I sincerely hope someone can answer.

So the motherboards are the same, so I assume that any chip that will work on a 1.2 Xbox(strictly speaking in a hardware standpoint), should work on a 1.3 Xbox?  Seems logical to me.....

Secondly, are there any estimations as to how long, when, or who will be getting a bootable 1.3 bios out?  I don't mean to sound selfish, but I have an Xbox in the mail to me that I ordered prior to the 1.3 announcment and I planned to mod it to hell and back, and now it looks like my plans are being smashed to pieces.  I am starved for information.

BTW, thanks in advance to all the people out there that are working their asses off on this.  Your work is very much appriciated.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE (lacitpo @ Jun 8 2003, 01:06 AM)
So from what I'm reading there are a bunch of really smart people working on this.  I am not one of them.

Onto my question that I sincerely hope someone can answer.

So the motherboards are the same, so I assume that any chip that will work on a 1.2 Xbox(strictly speaking in a hardware standpoint), should work on a 1.3 Xbox?  Seems logical to me.....

Secondly, are there any estimations as to how long, when, or who will be getting a bootable 1.3 bios out?  I don't mean to sound selfish, but I have an Xbox in the mail to me that I ordered prior to the 1.3 announcment and I planned to mod it to hell and back, and now it looks like my plans are being smashed to pieces.  I am starved for information.

BTW, thanks in advance to all the people out there that are working their asses off on this.  Your work is very much appriciated.

Well, the hardware will work (once a 1.3 BIOS is out), but there is an issue: All of the current crop of Cromwell-equipped mods, which are merely bootstraps to flash a 'regular' BIOS (such as X2 or a full Cromwell), will obviously not work because they, too, are not BIOSes that are packed to load up in a 1.3 Xbox.

I'm not entirely sure how bad this affects the Chameleon, but I'm inclined to believe that for the X2s, it will mean they will have two Cromwells shipped on them: A Dual boot for 1.0 to 1.2 Xboxes, and a 1.3 version of the Cromwell. These would be hardware selectable (good thing for that)

For cheapmods, a consumer will be required to know, beforehand, which Xbox they actually have in order to select the proper BIOS to ship on their Cheapmod.

lacitpo

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2003, 09:37:00 PM »

That sucks because I have a Chameleon on order too.

I'm confused.  So Cromwell is not an actuall Bios.  It "Bootstraps a BIOS.  I don't know exactly what that means but I have some sort of an Idea.  The Chameleon as I understand it has the Pre-Intalled Cromwell Bios.  I need to look but I dont' know if that can be Flash Updated, but the Chameleon is Flash Updatable.  I know you said "I dont' know how this effects the Chameleon", but regardless I'm worried.  I really don't feel like ordering another Mod Chip.

Here's another question.  If I have the option to trade Xbox's with someone who I know has a 1.0 and is not planning on Modding it, would you recommend doing so.  I know the Box is in good condition.  Are there any advantages to having a 1.1. or a 1.2.  I can't see there being any, but just a question.  Thanks.

ChadH

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2003, 03:37:00 AM »

That sucks because I have a Chameleon on order too.

As long as you can temporarily get your chameleon into a previous version XBox, you could flash it with the new 1.3 Bios, and then move it into your 1.3 XBox.

Hassle factor is quite large, but its doable.

XB0X_Mod

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2003, 05:01:00 AM »

The Xodus Team will simply update the BIOS Distributed with the chameleon... nothing more,e hardly any v1.3's are around anyway

lacitpo

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2003, 07:09:00 AM »

I've got a Matrix and the Programmer so no problems there.  I assume the Chameleon Programs the same way the Matrix does.

FaMiNe

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »

Easybuy2000 will probably allow you to send in your working chameleon for one flashed with an updated cromwell once one gets released... it only makes sense, and despite their bad reputation, I have confidence they'll do this much as least.

imperialgamer2k3

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2003, 06:15:00 PM »

Whats the point of sending in your chameleon for an updated cromwell. Please enlighten me I know I mispelled "enlighten" and if I didn't who cares

blackout_19

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2003, 01:33:00 AM »

Surely the legality of a new Cromwell bios would be brought into question if they have to use the new rc4 key??

The whole point of people using the Cromwell is it's lack of anything Micro$oft.

This certainly wouldn't be the case if it has to use the new RC4 key in it's code....

wtaag

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2003, 02:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (vidgms4me @ Jun 7 2003, 07:52 AM)
20, 21 = 1.0
23, 24, 25 = 1.1
30 = 1.2
31 = 1.3

This test isnt 100% accurate i dont think.  mine says 23 and i have a 1.0

Mine too.

Ubergeek

• Archived User
Latest V1.3 News
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

QUOTE (XB0X_Mod @ Jun 8 2003, 02:01 PM)
The Xodus Team will simply update the BIOS Distributed with the chameleon... nothing more,e hardly any v1.3's are around anyway

that's IF they get the new RC4 kety smile.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16