xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Too Old To Mod?  (Read 121 times)

caprince

• Archived User
Xbox Too Old To Mod?
« on: February 02, 2006, 07:09:00 AM »

I am trying to install a SmartXX Ver 2 or SmartXX Ver 3...

I have modded many Xbox's in the past.  I am trying to mod a ver 1.0 built April 16, 2002.  All it does is frag.  I have done a pin header install.  I have reflowed the pin header so many times I want to sceam.  I have soldiered the D0 to the top, the bottom and a ground point by a screw.  Nothing.  I grabed another Xbox off the shelf dated November 20, 2001.  Once again pin header install.  I reflowed the soldier, D0 top bottom and ground point same thing.  It just frags.  So now I grab a 3rd Ver 1.0 XBox built June 6, 2002 with an Excuter chip in it.  I pull out the Excuter chip and replace with a SmartXX Ver 2 and a SmartXX Ver 3.0.  Both chips work fine!  So now I take the Excuter chip along with its DIP switches and put it in one of the other Xbox's; soldier in the D0 line top and bottom and it too just frags.

I have also checked the voltages at the pin header per some other posts.  All are good.

There has got to be something to this.  The only thing I see is the date.  I have done Xbox mods since the days when you had to soldier in 29 wires, I have been soldering since the days before PC 's were invented.

I need help before I go mad!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/muhaha.gif)

gamerayers

• Archived User
Xbox Too Old To Mod?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

I have a version 1.0 with a smartxx OPX LT v2 pinhead installed working great, it fragged to start, but i didn't have the pinhead totally right.

My gf has a xecuter 2.6 in her version 1.0 with a solderless adapter.

I had my smartxx in a version 1.1 before with a solderless adapter.(cept somehow i fried the nvidia chipset)

All work no problem.  It isn't the version....could be the mods, or could be that you didn't install correctly.  Also could be another part of the board, check to see if the nvidia chip heats up when it frags(mine did and that is how I knew i blew it).

Its possible there is something else that you broke or that was broken on the boards before.

caprince

• Archived User
Xbox Too Old To Mod?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

What is the build date on your 1.0 Xbox?  I have a 1.0 that is working too.

caprince

• Archived User
Xbox Too Old To Mod?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 05:18:00 AM »

Fixed it.  After weeks of messing with pin header install, I removed the pin header and mounted the SmartXX right to the motherboard.  Came up on the first try.  Go figure?