xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Linux Cluster (15 Nodes)  (Read 103 times)

Arius

• Archived User
Xbox Linux Cluster (15 Nodes)
« on: November 12, 2003, 08:37:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

The Phillips drive is better than the thompson, but it still has flaws and some read CDRW media fine and others dont (mine refuses to read it also)

Your best bet (especially if you are building 14 boxs up) is to buy a samsung drive, it will cost you a few quid, but in the long run they are far far more compatable.

I have access to one, and it reads everything I throw at it without a hitch.

Good luck with the cluster smile.gif

cky1billion

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »

Use a dvd+r/-r or try a sony cd-rw, from all accouts the sony cd-rws work well, i use em on a thompson drive, but to install debian and gentoox i used a dvd+r for one and  a -r for the other. It will boot off a 4x sony cd-rw, i play thps 4 off it, and you are going the right way with the soft hacks, they will work. Good luck!

redback911

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 01:31:00 AM »

Thanks for the pointers guys, I will continue with the project and let you know how I do.
/Dan

redback911

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 05:54:00 AM »

Well I am getting closer, I think. I followed the SoftMod guide for booting EvoX via the Mech_Installer_EvoX save same.  I used Pheonix Boot 1.3 (as part of the Save game file) I also installed the Bert & Ernie mod so my system boots stright into EvoX.

From the EvoX menu I can now insert GENTOOX ISO CD-RW's that are recognized by the system (at least as game CDs). I can then "Launch DVD" but after a few seconds I get the error message:

"your xbox requires service"
I then copied the install files (3+ gigs) for Gentoox to the /E/Install Gentoox/ and created a menu item in EvoX pointing at:

EInstall Gentooxgentooxx.xbe

Again system starts to load then compalins of "your xbox requires service" etc. So at least I have consistency , I also found exactly the same message if I try to launch MS Dashboard. I also noticed the Eject LED is flashing Red.

I will keep looking for reasons that i am seeing this error, I guess its some sort of bios problem but any comments would help.

Ta..!

desertboy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (redback911 @ Nov 14 2003, 03:54 PM)
Well I am getting closer, I think. I followed the SoftMod guide for booting EvoX via the Mech_Installer_EvoX save same.  I used Pheonix Boot 1.3 (as part of the Save game file) I also installed the Bert & Ernie mod so my system boots stright into EvoX.

From the EvoX menu I can now insert GENTOOX ISO CD-RW's that are recognized by the system (at least as game CDs). I can then "Launch DVD" but after a few seconds I get the error message:

"your xbox requires service"
I then copied the install files (3+ gigs) for Gentoox to the /E/Install Gentoox/ and created a menu item in EvoX pointing at:

EInstall Gentooxgentooxx.xbe

Again system starts to load then compalins of "your xbox requires service" etc. So at least I have consistency , I also found exactly the same message if I try to launch MS Dashboard. I also noticed the Eject LED is flashing Red.

I will keep looking for reasons that i am seeing this error, I guess its some sort of bios problem but any comments would help.

Ta..!

I'd reflash the tsop's on all 15 xbox's, buy agent under fire and a usb stick. For the price of a samsung dvd drive for the xbox you could easily buy both. Then use the 007 evox savegame to get ftp accesss to the xbox's without having to change the drives.

Check the tsop flashing section on this site for more info.
If you live in the uk (midlands) I might consider reflashing all 15 box's cheap in the interests of science.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »

thats couse you used evox. install avalaunch or mxm as a app and launch your linux cd from there.