xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wire Install On 1.6 Xbox With Smartxx Opx V2  (Read 145 times)

dereknet

• Archived User
Wire Install On 1.6 Xbox With Smartxx Opx V2
« on: November 08, 2005, 03:17:00 AM »

Hey I need some help/advice getting my chip working again. I originally quick soldered to the mobo and had no problems for about one month, then it started fragging. A quick tap to the side of the box would fix it, then it completely stopped working.

I tried removing all the quick solder joints but in the process damaged parts of the PCB on both the Xbox and Smartxx. My next idea was to wire from the pin break outs on the smartxx to the actual mobo pins where the quick solder formally connected, but a couple points are too hard to get soldered. I've spent over an hour trying to get the bottom two points working, but I gave up because holes are just too small to get soldered

(IMG:http://www.smartxx.com/manuals/pics/lt_16_points.jpg)

I think the next step would be wiring the breakout pins on the smartxx to the LPC pins on the mobo, but I'm not sure of the correct pin order. Any guides/pictures for 1.6? I keep reading about doing a LPC rebuild, but I've removed the lpc connector from the smartxx chip and no longer have it, so I'd have to do a direct solder of wires to the LPC holes. How should I continue?

Here's an image of my LPC
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/porkcharsui2k/xboxlpc.jpg)

Would this work? I found it on a simlar post to this one that never was resolved. But I'm not sure if this is still true for 1.6...
(IMG:http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/3/lpc-diag/lpc.jpg)

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

effbee05

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 05:22:00 AM »

I would think so. Once you rebuild the LPC then it should be like the 1.0-1.5's.

dereknet

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

I was looking at the instructions to rebuild the LPC and it looks like I need to wire the same points that I'm having problems with. Right now the metal that was sticking from the lfram hole broke off. Using an Exacto knife I started scraping away at the burned PCB area where the trace point was and got to some metal. I've tried putting a blob of solder to make a contact point to the metal I see on the PCB, but the solder keeps melting the surrounding PCB.

What's a good way to make a solder connection to an almost non-existant connection?

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/porkcharsui2k/lfram.jpg)

effbee05

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »

Ouch! I dunno how to help ya there. If you haven't broken any traces then maybe you can find where that point leads to and solder there...

StepsAscend

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »

I've fixed probs like that before.  You can't just blob solder on it, that never works.  
1. you need to get a piece of wire and lay that over it and solder.  
2. If you can trace where that track goes to on the motherboard then make the connection with wire.  Either of those methods should work.

dereknet

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 11:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(StepsAscend @ Nov 9 2005, 04:52 PM)
I've fixed probs like that before.  You can't just blob solder on it, that never works. 
1. you need to get a piece of wire and lay that over it and solder. 
2. If you can trace where that track goes to on the motherboard then make the connection with wire.  Either of those methods should work.

Thanks for the tips. Any ideas where  I could find LFRAM on the CPU side of the board?

StepsAscend

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 01:04:00 AM »

I don't.

If you need to know where contacts go through, use a ruler to measure from the edges of the board on top and bottom.