xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ftp (ed) "permission Denied" Error...  (Read 142 times)

KimmoA

• Archived User
Ftp (ed) "permission Denied" Error...
« on: October 20, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »

OK. Let me explain my situation...

My old Xbox recently died, so I had to get a new one. I bought a new unit (v1.6) from a guy who put a SmartXX OPX v2 chip in it.

When I got it, it had the latest SmartXX BIOS loaded in the first bank, and nothing in the second. The HDD came with XBMC working and so on.

Since my HDD in the old Xbox had broken down, I got a 120 GB Seagate HDD with the new one, which I was going to install myself.

This is what I did: I went to the SmartXX OS menu, unlocked the HDD, pulled it out, put in the new one, locked it (not really needed -- I know!) and ran that "format"/partition tool in the SmartXX OS.

To access my HDD to start putting files there (mainly Avalaunch, so I could start using it), I got "ED" working, following the instructions in the manual linked to on this site.

Everything seemed to work great. I could connect to it and all. I saw the C, D, E, etc. partitions as dirs, just like before with my old Xbox. However, when I tried transfering files over, or making dirs on the new HDD, the FTP program reported "permission denied".

I use FlashFXP for Windows as FTP client. Never had a problem with any FTP server with that program AFAIK.

Oookay... What the heck is wrong with my setup? I'm pulling my hair and screaming here!

Please help me!

NOTE: I later took a backup of the entire original HDD, just to make sure I don't have to open up the Xbox again (I hate doing that).

NOTE: Please don't tell me to burn a DVD/CD-RW of a boot disc -- I don't have a DVD burner and no CD-RWs left.

JustinT9669

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »

your hard drive wasn't formatted correctly (did u make sure u formatted hdd as secondary). go to smartxx.com forums for tutorials on formatting with SmartXX OS. btw, SmartXX doesn't have a bios, the guy prob flashed the updated SmartXX OS on bank 1.

KimmoA

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 05:22:00 PM »

Okay, so I accidentally had missed the jumper sitting in there by default. I moved it and now the format went OK (took much longer).

HOWEVER, I can still not transfer files! Can you believe this? This is driving me insane.

Also: Why the **** does x2_5035_v16plus_512k.bin show up as "256" and "Unknown" on SmartXX and why the hell doesn't it boot? It just starts, shuts down, starts, shuts down...

NOTE: Yeah... you're right. It doesn't have a BIOS. The "OS" is seperate. It used Xecuter when I got it, which I'm trying to smash back in now.

effbee05

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »

Which SmartXX chip do you have? There's a SmartXX V2 and a SmartXX LT OPX.

This is for a V2 which I have in my Xbox...
You should try formatting the partitions through FTP (I never got my SmartXX V2 to do it correctly) XS HD format in FTP

In the OS in BIOS/Bank Menu I have 'Low 2MB' as 6*256k and 'Mid 2MB' as 2048k (where I have ED@chip flashed) If your is setup like that then that BIOS you have needs to be 256k not 512k and the Unknown/Free is what the default name of a BIOS is and you have to rename it.

KimmoA

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »

I just want to say that I didn't name the thread "Ftp (ed)...", but "FTP (ED)...".