xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Modchip Blinks When I Tap Bottom Of Xbox  (Read 177 times)

mykel

• Archived User
Modchip Blinks When I Tap Bottom Of Xbox
« on: April 20, 2005, 01:52:00 AM »

I have a 1.6 with the SmartXX V2. I had to do that ridiculous LPC rebuild and every once in a while, the modchip wouldn't start up, resulting in a FRAG. I'd tap the bottom of the XBOX a couple times and eventually it would come back on and stay on.

It seemed to be pretty random. It'd cut out RARELY if it was already on. Most of the time it would just not turn on on boot up.

Recently however, it looks like it has gotten worse. I was playing a game and it froze. Sure enough, modchip lights were off. I tapped the bottom of the XBOX, which resulted in the lights flickering on for just a blink of an eye. I can't seem to get it to stay on!

I completely resoldered the LPC rebuild with fresh wires and I still have the same issue. The only thing I can think of is the D0 point is flimsy (although I've resoldered that), or the solder holding the modchip on (quicksolder method) is flimsy.

Anything else I could look for? <

Tobb555

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »

ya i would think that its that quicksolder method. not really sure what that means but it doesnt sound to good. <

P3ST4

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »

put electrical tape on the bottom...some of the pin headers might be hitting the bottom...also make sure all your wires arent split, and tape those too <

mykel

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »

Nah.. the pinheader isn't on there. I did the quicksolder method. You solder the chip directly to the board. Anyway, I'll attempt to resolder that. I don't have a soldersucker, so I'm not sure how I'll grab the solder out of there tongue.gif <

STICKY_BUD

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »

you most likely just need to reheat the connections, but then be sure to tape up all the solder points <

mykel

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 02:16:00 AM »

Yep! That did it! I just reheated the connections/resoldered a couple points and off it went. Phew. <

ski-mask

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »

Good to here somebody has a success story. Not to many of those around here. <

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »

twas pin 2 or pin 9 that was doing it.. probably pin 2, as 9 is needed to be rebuilt <