• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2003, 10:01:00 AM »

startx ?

uziq

• Recovered User
Gentoo
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2003, 10:37:00 AM »

well, that doesn't really help me much, Season.
I know the user/pass, but I don't see a prompt for them.  "Welcome to Gentoo" is in the very bottom left-hand corner.  so I can't see if anything comes after that.

can I use a controller to input the user/pass?

SeasonOfFire

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2003, 10:43:00 AM »

Yeah, I have the same problem. I hate my TV and how it cuts stuff off. You need a keyboard or you need to SSH in. (no controller input, to my knowledge) To SSH in, network your xbox and use a program for SSHing like this one: http://the.earth.li/...t/x86/putty.exe
Then put in your xbox's IP address and check the box "SSH" and then connect. Then you will see a prompt for logging in.

pcween

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2003, 10:58:00 AM »

Thank you, SeasonOfFire, i can finally boot gentoox. Why is there no reference to "boot_fatx.iso.bz2" in the readme-file for gentoox ? I am sure that there are other people having the same issue.
I just found out there is no controller input in gentoox, so i am stuck at the logon-screen ( i think it is the logon-screen, i cannot see the last line on my tv. the last piece of text i can read says "WELCOME to Gentoox - ported to the Xbox by ShALLaX"  ).
So in order to work with gentoox you need a usb-keyboard and usb-mouse connected to the xbox ? is that right ? anyone tried that out already to see if it works ?

fifa

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2003, 01:40:00 PM »

Still getting errors mad.gif

Got a further then just the black screen, but now i get cannot open dev/console : no file or directory

Then it says something about attempting to kill init!

pcween

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2003, 01:40:00 PM »

CODE
Bringing eth0 up...
Failed to bring eth0 up

ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
      "netmount" was not started.

ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
      "sshd" was not started.

Gentoox fails to load the ethernet-module and therefore does not start the ssh-daemon (sshd). Does anyone know why this happens ? My xbox is connected to a netgear fvs318 hardware-router and the networking with evox works perfectly (ip 192.168.0.7, sn 255.255.255.0, gw 192.168.0.1, dns 192.168.0.1).

Any suggestions ?

uziq

• Recovered User
Gentoo
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

pcween - apparently Gentoo likes using 192.168.2.4 by default.  (at least it does on my network).  so maybe try changing your router settings to use 192.168.2.x instead of 192.168.0.x.

pcween

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2003, 02:14:00 PM »

@uziq : do you get the same error-messages during bootup as i do ("failed to bring eth0 up") ?

uziq

• Recovered User
Gentoo
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2003, 02:20:00 PM »

no.  I don't get any error messages.

pcween

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2003, 02:47:00 PM »

@uziq :

(1) will i be able to permanently change my ip-configuration in gentoox to 192.168.0.x, once i am logged on to gentoox via ssh ? e.g. editing and saving /etc/network/interfaces, so at next bootup it will have the ip i want ?

(2) is there a way to see gentoox's gui without keyboard and mouse attached to the xbox ? do you have these accessories ?

Cerios

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2003, 03:41:00 PM »

Hey All!

Total Linux Noob here to, but I'll get the hang of it.

Nice to se I'm not the only one fighting this thing btw..

So far I've installed The GentooX according to the readme file, an the connected to the GentooX via SSH. (I have both USB keyboard and mouse, but my TV cuts the picture to much to see what I'm writing, so the SSH will do)

So far so good, been able to browse all the disks, even renamed the system to give it the nice personal touch. I also ran the emerge sync command which executed fine. After this I really didn't know what to do next, so I decided to try to install the FreeX86, to get some nice graphics, and stuff.
I went to the Gentoo Web site and found the  Gentoo Linux Desktop Configuration Guide

I folloved it down to to the place were your'e supposed to manually start the X-server (btw,the emerge freex86 actually took three-four hours), but at that point the hole thing froze on me. Rebootet the Box with the power button, and tried again, with the same result. I then thought of the readme file shipped with the GentooX which says " If you're going to use XFree, remember to go to the xbox-linux site and download the configs from their CVS!" OK, so I head over to the xbox-linux site and enters the CVS section (At this point I haven't got a clue about what a CVS is) jerks around a little until i find This Folder
I saved the file called XF86config-4 as XF86config, before I send it to the C disk on the Xbox. I then mounted c under GentooX and copied the file into /etc/X11/
When I now tried the startx command, the screen flickered for a bit, and I got a long error message, basicly saying
EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found.

So now I have to admit I'm stuck. To me it seems like I don't have the right config file (CSV), but I have also tried the xf86config program lots of times with no luck.
I'll now start reading the error logs on the system but I'll have to install a text editor (vim) first.
I know this got very long, but I hope it might have given someone else a clue about what to try next,

Best regards
Cerios

leftyfb

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2003, 07:57:00 PM »

try typing startx using your keyboard so it runs on your TV. X-windows runs in the terminal you run 'startx' from, which in your case (remote ssh console) is a virtual terminal. i THINK if you were to set the DISPLAY to 0 it might run on the tv, but i'm not sure. Try this from ssh:

DISPLAY=localhost:0
export DISPLAY

then try running startx also from your ssh session.

I'd do this, but i'm still trying to install BitchX, going on 4 hours now. I think I like rpm better than the emerge system.

SeasonOfFire

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »

QUOTE (leftyfb @ Apr 5 2003, 03:57 AM)
try typing startx using your keyboard so it runs on your TV

tried it, but it still give me an error.

thanks for the advice on SSHing!  biggrin.gif

ShALLaX

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »

GONE - New readme out!

ShALLaX

• Archived User
Gentoo
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2003, 11:58:00 AM »

GONE - New readme out!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6