xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Debian Ver 2 And 3 Problem Installing  (Read 370 times)

mikejf

• Archived User
Debian Ver 2 And 3 Problem Installing
« on: March 24, 2003, 12:41:00 PM »

Did you delete the 2 linux files on E: from the 0.1.0 installation first?

brookz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »

yup those files are gone... and i delete them everytime it crashes on the install...
i just crashed again installing as it was making the swap part... sometimes it gets further sometimes it doesnt make it through boot up....

brookz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »

I'm going to try a few more times and if it crashes again im going to try to install deb v 0.1.0 again to make
sure the Xbox isnt done  unsure.gif

brookz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 02:20:00 PM »

tryed a samsung dvd rom from another xbox incase the thomson didnt like reading some of it
still random crashes!! sad.gif  
EvoX still boots fine and games play with no crashes.. ? sad.gif

brookz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 03:53:00 PM »

well i have no idea what it is...
Debian Ver 0.2.0 and 0.3.0 installs fine on another Xbox (ver1.0 box)  only difference from mine that
I can tell is the other box has a Samsung DVD drive and a 40gig hd... ??
same mod chip, same bios on chip, same dash board and install cd used..

Went back to try Debian Ver 0.1.0 testing    and its works just fine...  huh.gif

Oh Well.. Atleast I got linux back on the Xbox!!   biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

RideBurton164

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 08:05:00 AM »

when you guys installed 0.3.0 and the login box came up was your screen all fucked and gargled?  i cant even read the screen it looks like shit all off centered and full of lines

red1busta

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 08:32:00 AM »

mine was

RideBurton164

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 08:37:00 AM »

yeah the hell with this, new display is obviously super buggy.  back to 0.1.0 for me i guess

RideBurton164

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 01:12:00 PM »

is the display ok once you login?  if so ill re-install 0.3.0

RideBurton164

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 10:01:00 AM »

umm...i have an ntsc xbox...and its fucked...so i dunno what youre talking about

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (wmadoss @ Mar 26 2003, 03:54 PM)
Sorry my bad....

I have a PAL box which I had NTS mode on then I switched back to PAL and it was ok....

But the xbox shuts down when I try to launch it... it says close tray to select and when I do it shuts down

Try a different bios. (ex, evox d.6 eject fix)

Dante_Ali

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2003, 02:32:00 AM »

I've given up on Version 0.3.0. I've tried numerous re-installs and no matter what, it will always crash at one point or another. I've looked at the mail listings for help on http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ and none of the workarounds worked for me.

There was one person who reported he got it working if you installed version 0.1.0 and then installed version 0.3.0 over the previous install WITHOUT removing the old 0.1.0 files on the E: partition of your Xbox. I tried this and after a very long install, it seemed to work. My xbox would no longer crash when I tried to download something using apt-get. So, being the KDE fan that I am, I then tried downloading KDE using tdfsu's guide and using that as my primary windowsmanager. On my first-time boot with KDE, it worked for about five minutes but then crashed abruptly and after that it wouldn't even boot anymore. It gave me a lot of really weird error reports and would just sit there. I couldn't enter anything into the command prompt and it wouldn't boot KDE either.

So I gave up on 0.3.0, knowing that I had tried everything to no avail, reinstalled 0.1.0 instead and everything works as it should, but of course without all the nice features that 0.3.0 has such as xpad support, fatx support and the overscan fix.

Is it possible to install the xpad and fatx patches manually? I've looked at the CVS tree but I think they require patching of the kernel in order to work. I've tried a few things but couldn't get the patches to install manually.

I just hope that Ed is aware of the instability problems with 0.3.0 and can fix them for a future version because from what little I've seen of it, it really looked awesome. It seemed a lot faster than 0.1.0 and it had a lot of nice features included. It's just unusable for me (and a lot of others judging from the message boards here and the mail listings) because it's very unstable and crashes at regular intervals.