xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Debian Install Tutorial  (Read 133 times)

XDelusion

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« on: January 09, 2003, 02:54:00 AM »

So where are those files on a Debian 3 CD then? I don't have cable, and Internet connection sharing on my XP machine does not seem to work.

T14

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 05:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (NokiaChicX @ Jan 9 2003, 06:53 AM)

Step 4

Now comes the tricky part, you must have that working connection to the net now if you want to install packages (such as a GUI). You need a static IP, Gateway, and Subnet Mask for your network. Once you have these enter:

Is it absolutely necessary to have static ip?? My xbox gets it ip via dhcp, so is it impossible to get to internet? At the moment I can ping my own pc (connected to the same switch) and I can ping the router in the building (the switch is connected to that), but I can´t go any further... sad.gif Does anyone know what to do??

rjm2k

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (slain @ Jan 9 2003, 11:46 AM)
In this exact tutorial, I've completed everything from Steps 1 to 3.  The only difference is, is that I've used SSH instead of the keyboard to do the installation.

When I run Linux (once installed) from EvoX the loading screen just sticks.

This is on my v1.0 (Enigmah Beta), EvoX IGR ON, Auto Run Games OFF.

What's going wrong?

I had the same problem when I originally installed it, try making sure that BOOT_FAT.ISO is all lowercase on the xbox drive.

T14

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 06:07:00 AM »

Ok, the "dhclient" was the answer....I think...anyways now I was able to download X smile.gif

slain

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

Now using Winrar extract the file BOOT_FAT.ISO from the xbox-linux-install-cd-0.0.9.iso file. Using Winrar extract the 4 files from BOOT_FAT.ISO to a directory on your PC called Linux.

Next copy the files you just extracted to your Xbox. I FTP’ed them to E:\applications\linux on my Xbox.

I extracted the files from BOOT_FAT.ISO, coverved the 4 files inside to lowercase, and uploaded them to e:\apps\Linux.

And it still won't load!

NokiaChicX

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 08:01:00 AM »

QUOTE (T14 @ Jan 9 2003, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (NokiaChicX @ Jan 9 2003, 06:53 AM)

Step 4

Now comes the tricky part, you must have that working connection to the net now if you want to install packages (such as a GUI). You need a static IP, Gateway, and Subnet Mask for your network. Once you have these enter:

Is it absolutely necessary to have static ip?? My xbox gets it ip via dhcp, so is it impossible to get to internet? At the moment I can ping my own pc (connected to the same switch) and I can ping the router in the building (the switch is connected to that), but I can´t go any further... sad.gif Does anyone know what to do??

There -may- be a way to use DHCP, but @ this moment the best thing is a static ip if you want to download add on packages.

NokiaChicX

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 08:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (XDelusion @ Jan 9 2003, 09:54 AM)
So where are those files on a Debian 3 CD then? I don't have cable, and Internet connection sharing on my XP machine does not seem to work.

Sorry I never looked at (and dont plan to) anything older than the 0.9 version of XBOX Debian. You need to beg, borrow or kiss someones a$$ to get a current version of the rar, sorry.

disc0

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2003, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (rjm2k @ Jan 9 2003, 08:36 AM)
In this exact tutorial, I've completed everything from Steps 1 to 3.  The only difference is, is that I've used SSH instead of the keyboard to do the installation.

What's going wrong?

I had the same problem when I originally installed it, try making sure that BOOT_FAT.ISO is all lowercase on the xbox drive.

So are you supposed to rename all of the files from BOOT_FAT.iso to lowercase names or not?

The path is f:\apps\linux\default.xbe, correct?

NokiaChicX

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (disc0 @ Jan 9 2003, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (rjm2k @ Jan 9 2003, 08:36 AM)

What's going wrong?

So are you supposed to rename all of the files from BOOT_FAT.iso to lowercase names or not?

The path is f:\apps\linux\default.xbe, correct?

Notice in the install tutorial where i say  !!!CASE SENSITIVE!!! ? Linux is a case sensitive operating system.

The files you copy from the CD (or rar) to your drive must be named exactly as they are in the original download.

disc0

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »

So you must edit the evox.ini to point a link to e:\Apps\linux\DEFAULT.XBE

Very well. I'll try this, again.

I wish I could read that damn error message at the top of the screen!

-DV

slain

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »

Well originally, I'd used Isobuster on the BOOT_FAT.ISO file, extracted it's contents and FTP'd it to my XBOX.  That didn't work.  Yet burning the ISO to a CD-RW, and sending the files from the CD to the XBOX via FTP, worked!

Very wierd.  Isobuster must have been doing strange things with the contents.

Anyway, downloaded the XF86 in about 2 minutes flat, going on to KDE now. smile.gif  I just need an X terminal for this Win32 box now. wink.gif

stealth

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »

Jeez.. you make it sound DHCP is some mysterious thing that -might- work if you are lucky.

Come on guys tongue.gif

In your /etc/network/interfaces change the word "static" to "dhcp"

then run this command

/etc/init.d/networking restart

that will restart your networking.

If I've goofed up and given the wrong path to the networking command just reboot your xbox.  That will do the same.

stealth

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »

Here's some more FAQ type information for the Debian install.

KDM

Tired of the horribly ugly xdm login screen?

type apt-get install kdm

During pre-configuration, tell it you want to use kdm not xdm.

Now you will have a nice login menu and you will have normal logout/reboot/shutdown options using the logout button in KDE

Mozilla

If you want the crappy old Mozilla 1.0, just go ahead and run apt-get install mozilla

If you want the new faster better Mozilla, go to mozilla.org and download the 1.2 installer package.  (Not the RPM).

Extract it using tar zxvf and then run the installer.  You will have problems due to missing libraries.  Read on to find out how to fix that. (It's easy)

Auto-apt

This utility is a lifesaver.  When you try to compile a new application or run an installer and you get errors saying that you are missing a header file or a library, auto-apt will allow you to discover what package you need to download to resolve the problem.

First install auto-apt by running apt-get install auto-apt

Then force auto-apt to update its database by running auto-apt update

Now you can run auto-apt search <missing file or library> and it will tell you what package it is in.

RDesktop

For those of you with Windows 2000 Server or Windows XP Professional on another machine, you can use rdesktop as a terminal services client.

You can run apt-get install rdesktop to install the 1.1.0-1 version.

I've found that the 1.2beta1 version works better overall (does have some bugs).  You will have to download the source from www.rdesktop.org and compile it yourself (See the gcc section below)

The general usage is rdesktop -g 640x480 <server name>

GCC

If you want to compile programs yourself you will need this.

Just run apt-get install gcc to get it.

XMMS

XMMS is basically a winamp clone.

just run apt-get install xmms to get it

NokiaChicX

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2003, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (disc0 @ Jan 9 2003, 06:07 PM)
So you must edit the evox.ini to point a link to e:\Apps\linux\DEFAULT.XBE

Very well. I'll try this, again.

I wish I could read that damn error message at the top of the screen!

-DV

Its not the case of the default.xbe that matters, its the other files that are called by that default.xbe that need to be set to the proper case. And as 'slain' found out, just because you think the files you uploaded are good - they may not be. I spent several hours uploading files with the sames names from different files that had been extraced in different ways until I found the one that works.

NokiaChicX

• Archived User
Debian Install Tutorial
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2003, 01:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (slain @ Jan 9 2003, 06:09 PM)
Well originally, I'd used Isobuster on the BOOT_FAT.ISO file, extracted it's contents and FTP'd it to my XBOX.  That didn't work.  Yet burning the ISO to a CD-RW, and sending the files from the CD to the XBOX via FTP, worked!

Very wierd.  Isobuster must have been doing strange things with the contents.

Anyway, downloaded the XF86 in about 2 minutes flat, going on to KDE now. smile.gif  I just need an X terminal for this Win32 box now. wink.gif

A shortcut sometimes takes longer wink.gif.
Pages: [1] 2