xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Advantages Of Linux  (Read 50 times)

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« on: December 05, 2002, 12:44:00 PM »

I wonder what Linux will look like on my 20" TV.....

k0zm0

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 06:48:00 PM »

Getting to 1024x768 should make things at least usable, at 640x480 it's not just ugly but difficult to use due to the lack of space.

Question on video quality though - I use one of those VGA convertors, only so I can use it with a switch box with my other machines - what's the final quality like (haven't got a very good eye for it myself).  Do I get the benefit of the hi-res VGA signal, or because it's converted from a standard Xbox output will there be no real difference?

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 06:40:00 AM »

All Linux is is an OS (Operating System) similiar to Windows but is open source (anyone can edit it).

Running Linux on an xbox gives you a few more options, like surfing the web from your xbox, email, running a web server, playing games, etc...

No, it does not hinder your ability to use original dvd games, depending on how you install Linux though, it will determine how you can run apps/etc from your e:/f: partitions.

echto

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 01:18:00 PM »

jester.gif

phantazma1

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 03:54:00 PM »

is the quality of the screen THAT bad... adding linux to the xbox sounds interesting

phantazma1

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 04:02:00 PM »

i'm dual booting redhat 7.3 and winXP and i find myself using redhat
more often, even though i know XP like the back of my hand.

i didn't like surfing the net with the dreamcast but xbox should be
a lot better

k0zm0

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 08:41:00 PM »

I've been on RedHat for over a year now but only really using it as a server, never using for X as I found it a but rough around the edges.  Just started playing with Mandrake and loving that, it's much better suited for a workstation install (and so the Xbox).

KDE3 and it's associated appz are also a big step up from the previous release, not really having to resort to windows half as much as I thought I would (and there's a Terminal Services client for that too!).

Saw in another thread a mention of a driver for the Nvidia chip - should hopefully improve the video situation - 640x480 on a 32" TV....... urgh!

stiGGy

• Archived User
Advantages Of Linux
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2002, 09:22:00 AM »

sad.gif