xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hotswapping Help  (Read 382 times)

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Hotswapping Help
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »

use xboxhdm 2.2 if you dont have IDE dvd/cd

128keaton

• Archived User
Hotswapping Help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jan 30 2013, 12:26 PM) View Post

use xboxhdm 2.2 if you dont have IDE dvd/cd

Okay, where do I put my Ndure generated stuff in the xboxhdm 2.2 folder?

My goal is to install XBMC.

Can I just use xboxhdm with textbooks tut?

Can I just use xboxhdm with textbooks tut?

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Hotswapping Help
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »

there should be a tutorial here some where.
its prety much the same but a usb loader not cd/dvd.
ldotsfan is probably the best person to ask.

Crosseyes

• Archived User
Hotswapping Help
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »

You can PM him, but he's a pretty busy guy. I was in the same situation as you and for the life of me couldn't get 2.2 to run at all (Tried a WD USB hard drive and a Sandisk Cruzer). I gave up on that and used Xplorer360 to install my softmod.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=650961
^ldot's tutorial on Xplorer360. It's the easiest way you can do this. Remember, you have to disable UAC to use this. From there, it's as simple as dragging and dropping. If you happen to get stuck on the UDDAE part because you can't find the files being referenced, it's because you didn't select that option in NDURE, in which case you can skip. If it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, I can package XBMC into either Shademan or mhackxbox's ready-made softmods and PM you a link to my Dropbox.

Alternatively, if you can find an old computer with an IDE disk drive in it, maybe even buy one for next to nothing from a local computer parts store or parts recycling center, you can run 1.9 that way. I had to do that to upgrade my HDD. Just put them both on cable select, have the drive on the middle IDE cable and the Xbox HDD on the end cable. Go into your BIOS and turn off autodetect on IDE Master (Appears as [not installed] on ASUS mobos like I have). Power up PC, pause/break at POST, hotswap, press enter, boot menu, boot from your drive.

As for the markers on your Xbox drive, they're written on the chip directly underneath the jumper and are abbreviated as "MS" "SL" and "CS". You want "CS" for this. It will most likely be the position on the far right and will be set to that in it's stock state.

Edit: If you end up with a disk read error in XboxHDM or your computer fails to POST or you get a "Please insert boot media blahblahblah" after you select your CD/DVD drive in the boot menu, these are all three cause by IDE master not having Auto-detect disabled. Poke around in the settings there and try different things until you get it. It took me five days to get that part down.

Also, before you do anything with XboxHDM, go into your BIOS and DISABLE the USB host CONTROLLER. Just the controller. Leave the USB itself enabled if you're using a USB keyboard.

When you're done, be sure to enter your BIOS and load factory defaults (F5).

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Hotswapping Help
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »

he is getting that error "insert media" because he isnt using a ide cd/dvd drive so xboxhdm is searching in the wrong place.

he should also set the hard disk to master "ma" not CS.

xboxhdm will search for the cd/dvd on the secondary IDE device. (primary slave, or secondary master) and expects the hard disk to be Primary master.
Setting the drive to Cable select is not reccomended when you could have just manually set it to master and the cd/dvd to slave (or master but on a secondary ide port).. However if he dosent have an IDE CD/DVD rom, then he would need to use the usb loader version of xboxhdm.

he cannot lock a new hard disk using Xplorer360.
But it can be used to hotswap modify an already locked stock hard disk.
so your reccomendation of using xbox360 is valid. and i have hotswap modified using that my self in the past..

Also you only need to dissable detection of the master hard disk if you intend to lock it..
We dissable the detection so the bios does not freeze the drive's lock status..
if you dont dissable it you can buld a new hard disk no problems but when you come to lock it it will say "drive is frozen"

128keaton

• Archived User
Hotswapping Help
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »

Thanks for your help, I forgot the dash files and I bricked my xbox. Is there a reputable place to get the latest dashfiles. I got banned from xbins (I read the rules darn you!) and I just need to get the files to unbrick my xbox. Thanks!

Crosseyes

• Archived User
Hotswapping Help
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »

I'll upload mine and PM them to you (for future reference, it's not wise to openly ask for those files. Such matters should be conducted over PM. Since it's been almost 4 years since this console was abandoned, no one seems to really care much anymore but it's still better to be safe.)