xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Going To Softmod, Just Need Clarification  (Read 749 times)

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Going To Softmod, Just Need Clarification
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »

provided you use an up to date softmod like ndure 1.1.1 you have good lba support.
older bioses/exploits had limited lba support so had 137gb limit..

the limit is now 2tb.

but you need to make sure you use the correct cluster sizes if you have larger drives..

you can cross that bridge when you come to it though..
its a matter of running xbpartitioner.  

for that and a whole bunch of other tools including xbmc and a updated dash you can just get hexen "heimdalls xbox engineering disk"
its a very useful dvd.

as for having a 1,6..
it just means that if your hard disks are not lockable you would need to get a mod chip to use them.

on the 1.0-1.5 you could have flashed the on board bios and would not need a chip.
apart from that the 1.6 boxes are generally solid.

addyb

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

From various guides the whole process doesnt seem that taxing. I've just been out of the scene for years so it's a case of getting reacquainted with everything. I like to plan properly and get everything in place.

Ive actually just found another drive so I have a 160GB Maxtor and 320gb WD. Gonna check them both now for compatability.
Again I'm sorry for bringing up newbie questions again.

addyb

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »

sad.gif  sad.gif

Just used this site to check compatability of my drives:

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Neither show up on the list! Lol talk about bad luck if neither can be locked.
For reference they are:

WD3200AAKS (western digital)
6Y160M004601A (maxtor)

Oh well will see what happens.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »

I'm suspicious of that web site. I've just been there using your link and whatever I do there none of the drop down menus or search options are working. When I tried a new tab opened and I was immediately and repeatedly redirected to a dodgy looking unrelated download web site.  

I have used it before but long ago when I was looking for 120GB HDDs. I submitted my own findings to the lists too and found it very useful but it was never comprehensive.

If the web site has been got at in some way it'll be a sad loss.

Edit: Just tried the web site via a Google search and first time I was redirected to the same place. But when I tried again no problem. Odd, perhaps I've picked up a dodgy cookie or something.

This post has been edited by fallenangle: Sep 4 2012, 04:45 AM

addyb

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 05:37:00 AM »

Well im having problems at the very 1st hurdle. The gamesave exploit. Got 3 usb sticks to try. Each one is detected by the xbox and has been formatted. I even checked with a fatx formatter.
Ive gone to launch xplorer 360 and open the the drives but they just show up as partition 0 in the window.

Not sure what ive done wrong? I selected the numbered folders in UDATA and drag/drop them into the xplorer app and it appeared to copy them over but no joy when the usb stick is back in my xbox. I dont know if ive missed a step or something.

addyb

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »

Ignore the above, just tried a sandisk usb and all fine so now installing the softmod!  biggrin.gif

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »

Strangely enough the USB 2.0 sticks I've had most success with are Sandisk (Cruzers of various age and manufacturer location). Out of three one 2GB refused to work at all but the other two, a 2GB and 4GB are quite useable.

They're not perfect though, they sometimes go missing and particularly hate Xbox folders with lots of small files. I get regular failed copy error messages with those and you often have to reboot the whole Xbox to get it to detect the stick again. But once on the Xbox HDD in all the years I've been using them I've had only one failed copy incident copying to either of those drives.

But now I use FTP for virtually everything on my two main Xboxes so the flash drives are used for Xbox softmod stuff backups but mostly just as simple game save memory cards. Still it is a very useful safety net to have them as backup and I recommend you keep your working ones exclusively for Xbox use.

addyb

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Sep 7 2012, 05:56 PM) View Post

Strangely enough the USB 2.0 sticks I've had most success with are Sandisk (Cruzers of various age and manufacturer location). Out of three one 2GB refused to work at all but the other two, a 2GB and 4GB are quite useable.

They're not perfect though, they sometimes go missing and particularly hate Xbox folders with lots of small files. I get regular failed copy error messages with those and you often have to reboot the whole Xbox to get it to detect the stick again. But once on the Xbox HDD in all the years I've been using them I've had only one failed copy incident copying to either of those drives.

But now I use FTP for virtually everything on my two main Xboxes so the flash drives are used for Xbox softmod stuff backups but mostly just as simple game save memory cards. Still it is a very useful safety net to have them as backup and I recommend you keep your working ones exclusively for Xbox use.

Yeah the working sandisk will be stored away and just used for the xbox when needed. Im all soft modded up now and have got xbmc as my dash. Next step is to upgrade the hdd but will be doing that next week. For now im just going to install a couple of emulators with a handful of games to tide me over.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »

you have a high chance that both the maxtor and western digital drives will be lockable..

there are some that arent but most of them are.. "older drives may not be, but those ones would probably be dead by now"

you should make sure you ftp your eeprom file to your pc if you have not done so already

P.s
that site you used to check locking of the drives does work and its reasonably fine but it does have one huge problem..
its users that add the drives that can and cannot be locked. and many of them will list a drive as not lockable using xboxhdm because theiere bios froze the drive. Which is not the hard drives fault.
The drop down selection boxes are a pain but the do work you juyst have to figure out where to click.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Sep 8 2012, 03:37 AM

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »

Yes the web site does now work OK for me too. I've been back there a few times as I'd found a source for small size (40 GB - 80GB) IDE/ATA HDDs at reasonable cost and I was considering buying a couple for my two un-upgraded HDD Xboxes. Not reviewed by anyone there unfortunately.

Whatever was redirecting me was something I'd picked up somewhere else and not a problem with the Xbox HDD compatibility web site itself.  You sometimes get stuff like that, web sites that are 'reluctant' to let you go anywhere else. I've found that removing the offending cookie with CCleaner always resolves the problem.

addyb

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »

Ok I finally have time and am trying to upgrade my hdd but it's been stuck at formatting x: for an hour now (using hexen disc) not sure what to do.
Pages: 1 [2]