xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lock Hdd With Different Key Using "chimps"  (Read 196 times)

2 Bunny

• Archived User
Lock Hdd With Different Key Using "chimps"
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »

Hey there everyone, it's 2 Bunny again. I've been working on the Xbox and got the new "XBMC4XBOX" version up and running and the "bad trace on the motherboard" thing (where the Xbox sometimes refuses to power off, never responds to the power button, always starts the second you plug it in, sometimes shuts off on its own, etc.) and am finally tired of it. I have found a "donor Xbox" that would be happy to donate its motherboard. Of course we all know that on a softmod, the drive is tied to the board with that lengthy HDD key. I have backed up my entire hard drive because I was originally going to just start a new softmod on the alternate board/hdd, clear my 80G drive in my current console, run chimps in the new console, then use FTP to restore my entire backup. I was thinking though and remembering the options in the chimps menu, and remembered back when I first did the upgrade and remembering the "lock" screen where you had to remember to lock the new drive, and I thought there was an option in there somewhere to lock the drive with an alternate key like from a text file or something.
I guess the main question would be, "can "chimps" lock a hard drive with an alternate key"?

This would save me a whole lot of hassle and worries about all the "sensitive softmod files" making their way over and we all know how the FTP client in there sometimes just decides to stop working until you reboot; for this to happen at precisely the wrong time could be catastrophic. It would be far more convenient for me to just unlock and relock the hard drive with the key from the new motherboard/stock drive, y'know what I mean? cool.gif

Thanks in advance!

- 2 Bunny

xman954

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 08:55:00 PM »

why not edit the unique HDD key on you old xbox to match the new xbox (using configmagic)
OR the other way around...

5 min at the most...

then put the 80gig in the new

if not sure how to post back

This post has been edited by xman954: Yesterday, 05:00 AM

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(xman954 @ Jun 6 2011, 11:55 PM) View Post
why not edit the unique HDD key on you old xbox to match the new xbox (using configmagic)
OR the other way around...

5 min at the most...

then put the 80gig in the new

if not sure how to post back

I actually thought "ConfigMagic" when I wanted to do something similar a few months ago. I took the donor board/hdd and ran the softmod on it, then loaded up ConfigMagic and tried to change the EEPROM key of the host console to match the HDD key of my old console (so that after I was finished, I would just be able to put my 80G back into the donor motherboard and go) - I checked and double checked and triple checked that I had entered my key right, but somehow managed to screw it up - I had wrecked the console (and I did check the 8G of the donor Xbox just to make sure that ConfigMagic didn't fail to save the key or something, but it had saved, but somehow saved the wrong one mad.gif ).

But, if I can edit the HDD key of the 80G Hard Drive itself from ConfigMagic in my old console, that would be a new way of trying things. ConfigMagic can do that, right?

- 2 Bunny

xman954

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:23:00 AM »

i have done it both ways
all xbox's now have the same Unique HDD key 32chr
you MUST disable the virtual EEPROM first....

you can run the NDURE tool set (led turns RED) OR
use the EEPROM_off.bin file (any file named that)
in the root of E:\ (ndure 3.0)
or E:\NKP11\ (ndure 3.1)
or just put a file in both places

unlock HDD
change key (edit on the fly)
relock hdd
done...

even if you enter the wrong key that xbox will still boot, to try again...
configmagic makes a backup of the eeprom on every step

This post has been edited by xman954: Yesterday, 05:25 PM

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(xman954 @ Jun 7 2011, 12:23 PM) View Post
i have done it both ways
all xbox's now have the same Unique HDD key 32chr
you MUST disable the virtual EEPROM first....

you can run the NDURE tool set (led turns RED) OR
use the EEPROM_off.bin file (any file named that)
in the root of E:\ (ndure 3.0)
or E:\NKP11\ (ndure 3.1)
or just put a file in both places

unlock HDD
change key (edit on the fly)
relock hdd
done...

even if you enter the wrong key that xbox will still boot, to try again...
configmagic makes a backup of the eeprom on every step

So, just to clarify, I would go to ConfigMagic, hit "unlock hdd", then I would press "lock hdd", and somewhere there it should ask me what key I want to use to lock it, and I would enter the hdd key that I got from from the other Xbox, save, power off, pull the hard drive, put it in the other console, and it should work, right?

- 2 Bunny

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »

personaly i would have a softmod on both boxes. then get the eeprom.bin c: and e: drive (without games and other junk that may be on ther)
Make a disk with xboxhdm (then repete for the other xbox) and just use those to Unlock then lock the new drive..

maybe im just strange or something but its how i like to do it. I have a disk already made for each of my xboxes any way so its never much more bother than to pull out the hard disk stick it in one of the pc's and boot from which ever cd  is labled with the relivant xbox (i lable them by age of the xbox)
the 1st time i would obviously need to use the disk with the current eeprom to unlock the drive.
then reboot from the cd that has the eeprom i want to lock it with, and then in the future because they were always locked with xboxhdm i can simply unlock them with the master password "xboxscene" then tell it to lock from the eeprom file on the cd if i ever want to trade them between boxes for whatever reason (one dies?).
"always save a backup eeprom file thoug"

Thought id just mention that because you seem to be overcomplicating things.. Or am i over complicating lol?

xman954

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(2 Bunny @ Jun 8 2011, 09:52 PM) View Post

So, just to clarify, I would go to ConfigMagic, hit "unlock hdd", then I would press "lock hdd", and somewhere there it should ask me what key I want to use to lock it, and I would enter the hdd key that I got from from the other Xbox, save, power off, pull the hard drive, put it in the other console, and it should work, right?

- 2 Bunny

MAKE SURE the virtual EEPROM is OFF....

1 unlock HDD
2 select "edit on the fly "
3 change the "Unique HDD Key" (you have to backspace/delete to clear the orignal key value)
4 save the changes (write to EEPROM)
5 relock HDD (now locked to new key)
6 reboot

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »

... and if you're using Krayzie 1.1.1 as your softmod, make sure you run Extras and update the virtual eeprom, and take a backup of your new eeprom. It won't make any difference now, but it might in a couple of years time when you've forgotten what you did, or when you sell the Xbox. smile.gif

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jun 8 2011, 11:23 PM) View Post
personaly i would have a softmod on both boxes. then get the eeprom.bin c: and e: drive (without games and other junk that may be on ther)
Make a disk with xboxhdm (then repete for the other xbox) and just use those to Unlock then lock the new drive..

maybe im just strange or something but its how i like to do it. I have a disk already made for each of my xboxes any way so its never much more bother than to pull out the hard disk stick it in one of the pc's and boot from which ever cd  is labled with the relivant xbox (i lable them by age of the xbox)
the 1st time i would obviously need to use the disk with the current eeprom to unlock the drive.
then reboot from the cd that has the eeprom i want to lock it with, and then in the future because they were always locked with xboxhdm i can simply unlock them with the master password "xboxscene" then tell it to lock from the eeprom file on the cd if i ever want to trade them between boxes for whatever reason (one dies?).
"always save a backup eeprom file thoug"

Thought id just mention that because you seem to be overcomplicating things.. Or am i over complicating lol?

In its own way, that's a start too. XboxHDM can lock hard drives from a custom EEPROM bin file, but in my situation, I cannot use XboxHDM. Our home computer's case is too cramped (unbelievably so, really), and while that sounds like a lame excuse, the only power and IDE connector are out of slack and across the case from one another. Believe me, I've opened that case numerous times thinking "it can't possisbly be that difficult, everybody else can, I can even visualize in my mind what using XboxHDM would look like in this situation", and coming out with a look of shock blink.gif . This was why I was just figuring on perhaps using a console software solution.

Not to dis your suggestion or anything, with most "normal" computer cases/shells, I probably would've given this a try.

QUOTE(xman954 @ Jun 9 2011, 12:34 AM) View Post

MAKE SURE the virtual EEPROM is OFF....

1 unlock HDD
2 select "edit on the fly "
3 change the "Unique HDD Key" (you have to backspace/delete to clear the original key value)
4 save the changes (write to EEPROM)
5 relock HDD (now locked to new key)
6 reboot

So, this would change the key on the board then as well as the hard drive so that it (the board) would retain the same HDD key as both hard drives and the other board, right?

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 9 2011, 03:58 AM) View Post
... and if you're using Krayzie 1.1.1 as your softmod, make sure you run Extras and update the virtual eeprom, and take a backup of your new eeprom. It won't make any difference now, but it might in a couple of years time when you've forgotten what you did, or when you sell the Xbox. smile.gif

"Extras"? It sounds familiar, but remind me again exactly what it is/where to find it?

Thanks.

- 2 Bunny