xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: About To Toss Xbox Out The Window  (Read 201 times)

JamesKindel

• Archived User
About To Toss Xbox Out The Window
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »

I'mma just keep it short because I've already wasted 2 days on this crap.

Fresh xbox, 5101 kernel 5960 dash.

XboxHDM USB version, Ndure 3.1

I backed up before I started, installed ndure (using option 1), and it gave me write error HD full
tried option 2, xbox boots error 21
restored backup, xbox boots ok
install ndure option 1, disk full

Tried to download a clean 5960 dash, wiped C:, putted it on there, boots error 21

No matter what I do, I either end up with a damn disk full, error 21, stock dash, or stuck at xbox logo

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

HELLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »

Where did you download the usb version of xboxhdm and what version was that?

scullc once released versions of xboxhdm2.2 that was problematic and booted to error 21 with stock msdash files and this was confirmed with user reports which Bomb Bloke collated. That version was since withdrawn and the version in the thread was packaged with RMPrepUSB which works.

Delete xbox.xtf and xbox book.xtf on C root and see if that helps in the disk full problem.

JamesKindel

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »

Hey, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to boot back properly, to even try deleting those 2 files when installing nDure, to see if that would fix the disk full.

The version of xboxhdm I was using was indeed the RMPrep version.

LDC Vortex

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »

Lets See Here, u got the USB ready, with clean/non corrupted files for the dash, and for xboxmc, u also have working ndure 3.1, no one said it was easy, and thats why its free cuz it takes EFFORT! u hotswap at the right time, with both power and ide cable off the dvd drive, u hotswap and switch jumper to MASTER for xboxhdm, u start process using both xboxhdm and xbrowser ndure3.1 midnight commander, u replace C with Ndure (which may have the files wrong or corrupted, spliff told me to use only core files,ndure basic, unknowk kernel,and last but not least the xboxhdm , so what u gotta do is try the heck outta ndure when ur setting it up on your usb, just try and try again), and ur done, then when switching back u return the jumper to CS, plug everything back and then turn off the xbox, the turn it back on, its basically the process, just make sure u have no corrupted files or a bad cable that might be twisting, its not easy man, tons of us have problems, i havent been able to softmod it, just keep messing it up just to xboxhdm again and again to retail xbox, im not trying to be stupid, but im just ranting back, lol, + i just joined so i need the posts, ;p, imma keep trying with mine, and as soon as i get it ill post the exact steps i took, it would be killer to turn this 30 dollar machine to a hundred dollar entertainment center, Hailz From SoCal, Keep The Metal Faith Alive \m/

JamesKindel

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »

Yea, I followed all the right steps, none of the files are corrupt or anything. I just tried it again by doing this

unzipped fresh ms-c files from AID disk

put it in hdm/C

made fresh ndure 3.1 choosing basic, kernel 5101 and hdm install (even though I dont use the ndure script that
comes with it since it doesnt work with usb, using the script that comes with the xboxhdm rprep), AND put that in hdm/ndure/C & E

Hotswap

when its booted, type xboxhd2, then 1, then 2, then xboxhd, then 2 (rebuild C), at that last step after it formats C it always finds the files in hdm/ndure instead of just /hdm/C, so I put the usb back in my other computer and just delete Ndure for now, then it finds the files in /C (mind you at this time I had to reboot the damn computer because it doesnt update the file locations, so now reboot, hotswap, go thru all steps over agian up until rebuild C)

Then finally after it finds the right files in /C and copied them into the right place, remove HD and put back into xbox

Xbox boots error 13...............

Then I google error 13, says basically to just reinstall softmod on the wiki.

Reput Ndure stuff on flash drive, go to Ndure script, choose backup (after I already deleted the old backup), backup runs for about 10 mins then a ton of scrolling pops up complaining about no HD space.

So now I go check /E/Backup and theres only 1 folder, Audio, and inside that theres another folder Audio, and inside that another folder audio, and that keeps going what seems like forever.

So then I go to /C/ to see wth is in there, and theres only 2 folders, 1 audio and I forgot the other. and those folders have folders inside of folders forever

At this point I say wth and I go check /hdm/c and all the files are in there properly.

I've been at this for days straight and I don't understand wtf is going on. I've done local xbox 360 modding for the past 2 years, all drives models, built my own tools, so it's not like I have no clue on how to troubleshoot, but this crap is rediculous.

This post has been edited by JamesKindel: May 25 2011, 07:40 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

Try this method with Xplorer360 beta 6 instead.

JamesKindel

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »

Tried that for yesterday for a few hours, I have  3 computers, 1 doesnt have ide, 1 has only 1 and 1 has 2. The one that has 2 ide, for some reason, will not detect the hd in windows anymore. It was working, but then I tried to copy some files into it and xplorer crashed, and windows hasnt detected the HD ever since. So my only option now is to go with the one that only has 1 ide, which I'm using the usb stick for.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »

Xplorer360 will work on the computer with only one IDE port. Have you tried that?

JamesKindel

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »

cant get it to boot into Windows on that computer, reset when loading windows pretty much as soon as i connect it

JamesKindel

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »

Ok FINALLY got this thing installed. GOD KNOW WHY it wasnt working in the first place. Heres what I did

Said f-it and tried to get the one computer (that I was able to get into windows and use xplorer360 on) to detect it agian. What I had to do was spam press a key while the bios was loading (old school dell with the bios that has a loading bar) to stall it from actually loading, then did the hotswap.

Got into windows and xplorer360 detected it

Then followed the tutorial in the link you gave (even tho I had ALREADY followed that same tut word for word), except this time I had used the ms-c dashboard that was on my USB stick from the previous attempts (same one from AID disk).

As a side note, when I used xplorer360 to copy the Ndure files into the C partition AFTER I had put the fresh MS-C dashboard into it (deleted everything in C then putted fresh files). When It got to xboxdash.XBE it asked me if I wanted to overwrite, which I did. Also I deleted xbox and xbox boot files in C as instructed in the tut.

Booted with the dash

Now, what I'm still pissed about is

A. Why did it work this time and not the first time when I tried the Xplorer360 route.
B. Why was I getting the "hard disk full" error when using xboxhdm, EVEN ON THE FIRST VIRGIN ATTEMPT
C. If it wasn't for xplorer360, I would still be sitting here losing hair. Which means if I tried to do this a year ago, i'd still be S-O-L right now. Which means there must be something not working right with XboxHDM

This post has been edited by JamesKindel: May 25 2011, 11:10 PM

LDC Vortex

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »

Ive also been pulling my hair with the hdm, i guess imma try this method since it worked for u, ill report back with my findings, whether its defeat or prevailing in this quest, Hailz From SoCal, Keep The Metal Faith Alive \m/

JamesKindel

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »

I gone half bald dealing with this, but now I'm happy to have a new toy to play with (Hijacked this xbox from my kids after they got a 360 2 years ago, been in the closet collecting dust).

Now to install some roms and stuff

Peanut76

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(JamesKindel @ May 25 2011, 11:35 PM) View Post

I gone half bald dealing with this, but now I'm happy to have a new toy to play with (Hijacked this xbox from my kids after they got a 360 2 years ago, been in the closet collecting dust).

Now to install some roms and stuff

You make the 2nd person so far that I've seen who had success with xplorer360 where xboxhdm was failing. Why wouldn't just copying files straight over via midnight commander not do the same thing? Could this have anything to do with Linux and its permissions/naming scheme? I notice some of the files are coming up as xboxda_~1 or something similar.