xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Noisy Xbox  (Read 63 times)

dave122

• Archived User
Noisy Xbox
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »

I have a modded xbox running the newest nightly build and it has always made a loud buzzing or rattling noise after a few minutes of being on.Its not making this sound when starting up ever it seems usually happens shortly after streaming something.If i press say the white or black buttons it stops the sound for awhile only to do it again and again,( the button pressing is stopping it IMMEDIATELY) .So,what is this ?it cant be a fan or it'd be constant right?Is there a setting somewhere if its the hdd to make it stop this annoying almost grinding sound  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)     3rd xbox and this one is the only one that has made this loud noise

This post has been edited by dave122: Apr 19 2011, 10:22 PM

obcd

• Archived User
Noisy Xbox
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »

The main xbox fan is speed controlled.
It could still be the fan making that noise. Xbmc has a setting for the fan speed.
You might turn it up and see if you get the noise as well.
If your xbox is a 1.0 version, it will have a little fan on the gpu as well.

Sometimes, a much fragmented harddisk or a harddisk on it's way out can make noise as well, altough it's more
a clicking sound of the heads being brought into position. Some harddisks even have a media streaming setting in their firmware. If you turn it on, the heads will move slower (making the harddisk seek time bigger as well.)
Due to that, they make less noise, and to stream media, it's not really a problem.

Sometimes, a coil in a switch mode power supply can make noise as well. Usually fixing it with a drip of silicone or hot glue solves that issue.

regards.

dave122

• Archived User
Noisy Xbox
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »

so in other words keep buying more xbox's till i get i quiet one, roger over and out lol.  NO but thanks for the info I am pretty sure its no a fan because they all run at startup and this seems to begin later.Once again the button pressing stops it entirely it has made this noise the entire time ive owned it for a few years now . guess i should start by running it with the cover off and pinpoint this mysteriously annoying racket biggrin.gif

obcd

• Archived User
Noisy Xbox
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »

so in other words keep buying more xbox's till i get i quiet one, roger over and out lol.

This is a very strange conclusion on my reply. I was just summing up all the things that could make noise in an xbox, together with some things you could test without opening the xbox.
I am even wondering why you didn't open it to find the source of the noise before you posted your question? Did you expect to find someone who could give you a solution without opening the box?

Yeah man, run my xbox silencer program and your noise problem will be gone...All you need to do is select the number of decibels you want it to be more quiet... I just can't google the link to it anymore....sorry about that. biggrin.gif

dave122

• Archived User
Noisy Xbox
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »

no no i appreciate your reply,i think getting another 1 would work out better and then ill take it back and exchange it until i get a quiet 1,Once again i never noticed this till i started using xbmc  and its not the fans its a different sound than that