xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Upgrading Hdd Using Softmodded Xbox  (Read 80 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Upgrading Hdd Using Softmodded Xbox
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »

All the methods are listed in the link in my signature. HeXEn inplements lxhdm, and it doesn't give you "no output", it shows you what it's doing on the screen in so far as it is possible. How far did it get, what was the last message on the screen etc?

NobodyHere

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

Okay.

I've moved on to trying out the Ndure+Xboxhdm method.

I prepared a 2GB USB drive, formatted it, installed syslinux+grub4dos, and copied over the ndure installer folder.

I then used the NDTS to FTP my C & E drives to the USB stick, booted into the PC with the target HDD, ran the 'ls -l dev/disk/by-id' command to identify the target HDD (USB drive showed as primary master), started the 'xboxhd2' script, selected primary slave (identified earlier with the 'ls' given command), started the 'xboxhd' script in QEMU, selected the /dev/hda1 drive, confirmed at the 'eeprom.bin prompt, and confirmed at the copy 'C' files prompt.

After about 3 1/2 hours this PC is still running with no results yet. The CLI process manger 'top' shows qemu as taking up 90-99% of the CPU time, with about a 150MB of RAM in use.

How much longer should I wait before I accept it has hung/frozen?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »

Xbox Error Codes

Error 9 = try a new disk

NobodyHere

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 3 2011, 01:01 AM) View Post

Xbox Error Codes

Error 9 = try a new disk

Thanks for the link.

But... I figured it out.

The hard-drive I was attempting wasn't on the now seriously out-dated compatibility list, but I kept trying anyways. Different PC's, different boot medium (USB/DVD), etc...

I overlooked something very simple, but apparently was required for this to work.

A JUMPER PIN. I hadn't placed a master/slave jumper pin on the hard-drive, which I placed in the cable select position.

Problem Solved.