xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Smartxx Os - Format Primary Drive Without Y Splitt  (Read 209 times)

mykel

• Archived User
Smartxx Os - Format Primary Drive Without Y Splitt
« on: October 24, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »

Is there a way to format the primary drive within SmartXX OS (aka not using the Molex Y splitter method)? If not, I can't get this damn EVOX CD to boot properly. What am I doing wrong?

I've got a 1.6 XBOX and the EVOX CD is burned on a Memorex 1-4x CD-RW 700mb. The same CD worked perfectly on my 1.0 XBOX.

Also - sub question - can the new X3 bios work w/ a smartXX chip, like the old Xecuter bioses did, or no?

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 07:32:00 AM »

X3 bios can not work on any other chips other than X3 :grr: stop asking that people and your cd must have a default.xbe on it for evox to boot but you can check out ed@chip it has a built in FTP server.

mykel

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »

Wow, it seems you didn't read my question very well. The CD worked perfectly on my 1.0 XBOX, suggesting that there is nothing wrong with the CD whatsoever. Secondly, I'm having a problem formatting, not uploading a dashboard. If worse comes to worse, I'll go out and buy a stupid Y splitter, but I'd prefer not to.

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (mykel @ Oct 24 2004, 03:47 PM)
Wow, it seems you didn't read my question very well. The CD worked perfectly on my 1.0 XBOX, suggesting that there is nothing wrong with the CD whatsoever. Secondly, I'm having a problem formatting, not uploading a dashboard. If worse comes to worse, I'll go out and buy a stupid Y splitter, but I'd prefer not to.

Yes, very easy to do. Install Ed on Chip to SmartXX.  Backup C and E of OEM XBox HDD.  FTP Ava to XBox C.  Boot to Ava, connect with AvaControl on your PC, use the tools in it to format the HDD.  HDD is now formatted so you can copy any files/apps/games you want over to the XBox thru Ava+Qwix for fastest times.

This post has been edited by SigTom on Oct 24 2004, 10:05 PM

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »

the reason it doesnt work with the new drive, is its a different model cd drive... even if its the same brand, its still a different model. i have to have evox cds and dvds for any version of dvd drive, my samsung doesnt read dvd+r, but some of the new ones do, and wont read cd-r

what you need to do is burn the slayers (or whatever disk it is) again on a different format (dvd-r would be best idea probably)

This post has been edited by FallsInc on Oct 24 2004, 11:18 PM

mykel

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 09:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (SigTom @ Oct 24 2004, 10:04 PM)
Yes, very easy to do. Install Ed on Chip to SmartXX.  Backup C and E of OEM XBox HDD.  FTP Ava to XBox C.  Boot to Ava, connect with AvaControl on your PC, use the tools in it to format the HDD.  HDD is now formatted so you can copy any files/apps/games you want over to the XBox thru Ava+Qwix for fastest times.

Yes, but how do I upload stuff to the unformatted drive? I think you guys have under estimated my knowledge. I'll clarify my question.

I have a new drive which is empty, unformatted. The drive in there now is an old 20 gig  from my first modded XBOX. I can't seem to boot off a CD to EvoX to format the new drive. I also don't have a Y splitter to do that method.

Anyway, I think my idea is going to be -

1) Boot up with the stock 20 gig into XBMC.
2) Plop the "Install New Drive" EvoX CD into the drive.
3) Run said EvoX CD through XBMC
4) Unplug 20 gig drive
5) Plug in new drive
6) Select "Install New Drive"

Besides being a little bit dangerous, that should be the (sort of) "old school" way to set up the new drive, correct?

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (FallsInc @ Oct 24 2004, 06:15 PM)
what you need to do is burn the slayers (or whatever disk it is) again on a different format (dvd-r would be best idea probably)

see again, and use the slayers disc.

just unlock the old HD, then install the new one, run slayers, and go to format.

This post has been edited by FallsInc on Oct 25 2004, 04:22 AM

mykel

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE (FallsInc @ Oct 25 2004, 04:18 AM)
see again, and use the slayers disc.

just unlock the old HD, then install the new one, run slayers, and go to format.

Would my method work though? I have no alternate media...

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »

No I wouldnt try that method, why hot plug drives when you dont have to.  Either spend the $2.50 USD for the Y splitter, use the 1.0 XBox to format the new HDD, or buy a diff brand CD to burn to.

mykel

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »

Yeah I'll just buy the Y splitter tomorrow :> Dunno why I was being so lazy.

XboxGamer25

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 10:44:00 AM »

it seems that your new box wont run off cd-r so you would need a dvd burner....they go for like 70 now. I got a HP 300xi 4x for 70 with shipping.

check out www.pricewatch.com foe good prices

or you could do the y splitter but that never worked for me...

This post has been edited by XboxGamer25 on Oct 25 2004, 05:45 PM