xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Having Some Problems  (Read 91 times)

dmk900

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »

I followed Textbook's Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm carefully with Ndure 3.1 and xboxhdm 1.9 and haven't lots of problems.

Initially I couldn't get the xbox hdd to unlock, trying everything. Including unplugging the dvd drive to get an error 12. I still continued to get the message "No xbox-partition table found on dev/hda".

Now when I put the xbox back to it's defaults I get an error 13.

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

I'm stuck and don't know what to do to proceed?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

EDIT1: I don't quite understand why it's missing/bad key, I'm thinking during the Hotswap (which I performed over 30 times) I may have accidentally corrupted the drive.

EDIT2: I removed the dvd drive cable and get an error 9, but on xboxhdm it says "The following drive was found on your primary master: STs1p0q4A" Then goes onto say the "Xbox drive is locked!"

EDIT3: I then proceeded to try and unlock the drive using alternative methods, xboxhdm has option 3 to lock/unlock drive. Then type "unlockhd -a" to automatically get the password from Eeprom but then get the eeprom.bin not found on cdrom and what now concerns me is I didn't get an opportunity to backup the eeprom from the hdd and I may be stuck forever.

Some additional errors I noticed
( DriveReady SeekComplete error )
IQR probe failed

EDIT4: I was reading somewhere about "Auto-Installer Deluxe v4.52" is it advisable to take this route or do any of you have better ideas. Thanks!

This post has been edited by dmk900: Oct 24 2010, 03:34 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »

AID is of absolutely no use to you.

Error 13 means the dash is missing

You can't unlock the drive with xboxhdm and lockhd -a unless you've added the eeprom.bin file to the ISO before you've burned it. For hotswapping it is of no use, because you don't have the eeprom. It's also about THE LAST thing you want to do - an unmodded Xbox with an unlocked disk means you have to use a chip or an eeprom reader to recover.

Unfortunately the fact that the dash is missing would imply that there is now a problem with the disk, so you are probably looking at building an eeprom reader to get the eeprom then setting up and locking a new disk, or fitting a chip.

dmk900

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »

Thank you very much for your help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I built an eeprom reader, I initially had problems getting it to load and then changed my com ports speed to 9600bps and it worked.

My next problem is LiveInfo BETA 3 is saying it's unable to decrypt my eeprom.
(IMG:http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1286/liveinfoerror.gif)

Here is a screenshot of my eeprom dump
(IMG:http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8180/256byteeepromblur.gif)

does it appear corrupt? (I blurred the last 4 digits in photoshop, didn't wanna reveal my serial to the world) I don't quite understand what's gone wrong? could it just be LiveInfo isn't working properly. (Also note that serial is the same that's on my xbox so it read that part properly)

I assume I can go ahead and load the eeprom on my xboxhdm cd and build a new hdd. But before I put my xbox back together just wondering if you think I should continue trying to get a better eeprom read or is LiveInfo app broken somehow?

Once again, thanks for your time!!! You've been a big help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
If I had money I'd donate you some, but if that were the case I'd just go out and buy another xbox to hack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Anyways, thanks again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by dmk900: Oct 30 2010, 01:32 PM

dmk900

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »

I found a resolution to my last problem.

I loaded my eeprom.bin file created by PonyProg into a hex editor and found header data added by PonyProg which shouldn't be in there. If anyone else has this problem and needs more information I'll post it soon it may be helpful as I've noticed a lot of people seem to have this problem.
(or the quick resolution is to look at the PonyProg output screen and compare that with the hex edit and take out what's in the hex app from what's in the ponyprog app if that makes sense)

[I would have edited my last post but the edit button disappeared]

obcd

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »

The contents you are showing in ponyprog are exactly 256 bytes.
I asume the file you had on your disk was longer than that, if you say ponyprog added some stuff to it.
256 bytes is the right size for the eeprom.bin file.

Maybe you could clarify things a bit more for others having simmilar issues?

regards.

dmk900

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »

Yeah sure, I was in a rush to get my xbox modded though unfortunately ran into another problem which I'll explain after my resolution explanation as to why I was having problems with ponyprog.

Here is my fresh dump from the xbox's eeprom in PonyProg
IPB Image

*I saved it as eeprom.bin as explained in the tutorial (I noticed it was over 256bytes and LiveInfo didn't recognize it so I decided to search deeper)

The saved file from PonyProg in a HEX Editor, notice I've highlighted the header informatino PonyProg included. Delete that and save it you'll be left with a 256bytes file that should read in LiveInfo.
IPB Image

^^^ Hope my explanation was of help, if anyone needs any more information feel free to ask. If you found it helpful let me know, that will let me know it wasn't an isolated problem with my version of PonyProg.
----------------------------

In other news I've ran into problems with xboxhdm doesn't seem to be working as it does in the tutorial. I posted here but Heimdall may have found the resolution. Trying it now and will get back to you all (:

obcd

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

It looks like some information from which chip the binary was extracted. I have never seen it.
Maybe it's a new feature in recent versions of Ponyprog.

kingroach

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

You dont need to build the eeprom.bin. You can unlock the hard drive manually with the command unlockhd -p "password".

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
Having Some Problems
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »

I know I'm a bit late on the ball here, but for those reading this topic in future:

PonyProg doesn't save to BIN format by default - instead it saves using the E2P format (which is useless for our purposes). Just telling it to save the file under the name "eeprom.bin" won't change this, you specifically need to click on the "save as type:" drop down menu and switch it from E2P to BIN.