xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: New Hdd - Clean Install Without "old" Files?  (Read 105 times)

FyRazer

• Archived User
New Hdd - Clean Install Without "old" Files?
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »

I would like to put a 40 GB-HDD in my Xbox.
At the moment my Xbox is softmodded (Hot Swap, Ndure 3.1/KingRoach) with UnleashX as standard dashboard.

Because i bought the Xbox from another person, i don't know what exactly that person has done to the files on the HDD (maybe he deleted files or whatever, i just don't know).
So i just don't want to copy the eeprom.bin and the C and E folders to my pc to make a new HDD with Xboxhdm (new hdd from scratch), instead i would like to have a completely fresh/clean installed HDD with untouched/original files. Of course i would like to softmod it again  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)  I also would like to keep the original MS dashboard (so i can dual boot: starting the Xbox with the powerbutton boots up UnleashX and starting the Xbox with the eject-button boots up the original MS dashboard).  
So how can i do that? I still want to softmod my Xbox with the Ndure-method, not with that Splinter Cell-thing!

Is this way correct (please correct me if i'm wrong)? :

Using Xboxhdm to make a "new hdd from scratch" (but without copying the files from C & E, instead copying the MS dashbord-files from the Slayers cd to folder C and leaving folder E empty). Also copying the eeprom.bin to the eeprom-folder of course.
After that i generate the linux-iso and burn it.
Then i connect the new 40 gb-hdd to my pc and make a new hdd with xboxhdm.

After the new hdd is finished, i just softmod that hdd with the same procedure i softmodded the original Xbox-hdd (Xboxhdm/Ndure 3.1 KingRoach). (but this time i don't have to hotswap of course, because the hdd is unlocked already) Finally i lock the hdd with Xboxhdm.

When everything is done i just put the new hdd into my Xbox and then (hopefully  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ) it boots the same way it does right now with the old hdd (Start-button = UnleashX / Eject-Button = MS Dashboard).

Is this correct, do you think it will work this way?

This post has been edited by FyRazer: Sep 12 2010, 10:50 PM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »

You're making it way too complicated - you can do it all in one. See this post for details.

FyRazer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

Oh, i didn't know it is that easy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Much more comfortable then my (complicated) method  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks a lot for your quick help  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

FyRazer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »

I have 1 more question:

can i connect the Xbox-hdd AND the dvd-drive in my pc to just 1 IDE-cable? I mean, Xbox-hdd as primary master and dvd-drive as secondary master. Or do i have to use 1 separate cable for the hdd and the dvd-drive? (Xbox-hdd as primary master and dvd-drive as primary slave)
Problem is, my pc only has 1 IDE-port... Otherwise i have to use my old pc which has 2 IDE-ports (but i don't really trust that old pc, because sometimes it just powers off by itself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ).

This post has been edited by FyRazer: Sep 13 2010, 12:56 PM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 05:32:00 AM »

xboxhdm2.2 supports single IDE connection. xboxhdm 1.9 needs 2 IDE.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=690646

FyRazer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »

Ok, thanks.

Well, then i have to use my old pc and can only hope that it won't crash during making the new hdd  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Or can i simply use xboxhdm 2.2 instead of 1.9 for making a new hdd including softmodding it?

This post has been edited by FyRazer: Sep 13 2010, 04:44 PM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:04:00 AM »

ver 2.2 comes with its own Ndure script which is included in the download. EvilCorpse reported his results here: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=4717954

mmtorry

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(FyRazer @ Sep 12 2010, 02:42 PM) View Post

I would like to put a 40 GB-HDD in my Xbox.
At the moment my Xbox is softmodded (Hot Swap, Ndure 3.1/KingRoach) with UnleashX as standard dashboard.

Because i bought the Xbox from another person, i don't know what exactly that person has done to the files on the HDD (maybe he deleted files or whatever, i just don't know).
So i just don't want to copy the eeprom.bin and the C and E folders to my pc to make a new HDD with Xboxhdm (new hdd from scratch), instead i would like to have a completely fresh/clean installed HDD with untouched/original files. Of course i would like to softmod it again  tongue.gif  I also would like to keep the original MS dashboard (so i can dual boot: starting the Xbox with the powerbutton boots up UnleashX and starting the Xbox with the eject-button boots up the original MS dashboard).  
So how can i do that? I still want to softmod my Xbox with the Ndure-method, not with that Splinter Cell-thing!

Is this way correct (please correct me if i'm wrong)? :

Using Xboxhdm to make a "new hdd from scratch" (but without copying the files from C & E, instead copying the MS dashbord-files from the Slayers cd to folder C and leaving folder E empty). Also copying the eeprom.bin to the eeprom-folder of course.
After that i generate the linux-iso and burn it.
Then i connect the new 40 gb-hdd to my pc and make a new hdd with xboxhdm.

After the new hdd is finished, i just softmod that hdd with the same procedure i softmodded the original Xbox-hdd (Xboxhdm/Ndure 3.1 KingRoach). (but this time i don't have to hotswap of course, because the hdd is unlocked already) Finally i lock the hdd with Xboxhdm.

When everything is done i just put the new hdd into my Xbox and then (hopefully  rolleyes.gif ) it boots the same way it does right now with the old hdd (Start-button = UnleashX / Eject-Button = MS Dashboard).

Is this correct, do you think it will work this way?

This tutorial should help for what you need to do!

http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/533828

You can make a clean untouched Xbox hdd again

smile.gif

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 04:42:00 AM »

Read the whole thread before posting. That tutorial only works with PCs with 2 IDE ports on the motherboard, whereas the OP only has 1 IDE port - so it is useless for this particular problem.

It also gives you an unmodded disk which you then need to mod from scratch, whereas using my earlier linked post plus xboxhdm 2.2 the OP can do it all in one go.

mmtorry

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 19 2010, 03:42 AM) View Post

Read the whole thread before posting. That tutorial only works with PCs with 2 IDE ports on the motherboard, whereas the OP only has 1 IDE port - so it is useless for this particular problem.

It also gives you an unmodded disk which you then need to mod from scratch, whereas using my earlier linked post plus xboxhdm 2.2 the OP can do it all in one go.

Well not everyone has a new pc. I was giving an option to him or others. Both Xbox HDM 1.9 and 2.2 are good programs for new/old pc's.

Another thing is UnleashX is outdated, I would go with Xbox Media Center. Download Xbox Media Center Deluxe. You can also enter into ms dashboard from XBMC, but this is just my opinion though. I used Unleashed X for awhile until it just got dull, but good dash for beginners.