xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Installed New Hd, Won't Play Games From Hd Or Disk  (Read 58 times)

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Installed New Hd, Won't Play Games From Hd Or Disk
« on: August 25, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(onekelly @ Aug 26 2008, 01:26 PM) View Post

I used xboxhdm to make a backup of my original HD ~ C, E. and then used the pc to update New (seagate 40gig) HD with an F drive as well. It loads xbmc and plays avi, etc.. But will not play any games from HD or from Disk. I put back in the original HD and games load from disk perfectly. Is there anything i could have missed to copy over? i copied the whole c and e drives. Also when i ftp'd to backup the c and e from the original HD there were H, X, Y, Z directories. but i did not copy these to the new drive.

thanks in advance

Create UDATA and TDATA folders in E drive if they don't exist . See if that helps. Otherwise  format X,Y,Z drives with xbpartitioner (each scratch partition is size 750Mb)

onekelly

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »

The UDATA and TDATA folder already existed on E partition. The x,y,z drives also exist as well and are 749mb a piece, with data on in the z (temp and weather folder). So there was nothing to do as they all existed. Any other ideas?

thanks in advance

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »

Delete everything you can find in XYZ and in the E:\cache folder.

Check that cache folder to see if it's not read only. Do the same for your XYZ partitions. (try to ftp a file to it and see if it works)

Try some simple homebrew applications and see if they run.

ftp something to your f partition and ftp it back. Compare both files to see if they are the same.

Since your xbox is running xbmc, the softmod seems to be working fine.

Can you play a Music cd in your drive?

regards.

onekelly

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Aug 26 2008, 01:58 AM) View Post

Delete everything you can find in XYZ and in the E:\cache folder.

Check that cache folder to see if it's not read only. Do the same for your XYZ partitions. (try to ftp a file to it and see if it works)

Try some simple homebrew applications and see if they run.

ftp something to your f partition and ftp it back. Compare both files to see if they are the same.

Since your xbox is running xbmc, the softmod seems to be working fine.

Can you play a Music cd in your drive?

regards.

I did as you said and deleted the contents of the cache folder and x,y,z folder. FTP'd back and forth with no issues. Even played music via cd.

Well, whatever was in there was causing the games to not work, as they now all work!!! Thank you.

What in there would cause games to not work?

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »

they contain game cache (kinda like cookies for internet browsers) they are set to a specific size so if they get full and a game cant write to them so they dont load

onekelly

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Aug 27 2008, 01:07 AM) View Post

they contain game cache (kinda like cookies for internet browsers) they are set to a specific size so if they get full and a game cant write to them so they dont load

Thanks for the info on this matter.

Also, thanks to all who offered help.